Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Buell - 1125r 2009

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I had an opportunity to go live in Brisbane with a lady years ago, after my divorce. Its probably best that didn't work out. I always thought it would be neat to live there for a few years, at least. I also have been kicking around moving to Hawaii, however Cooter said I was a dumbass. I dont think that had anything to do with moving, though.
    Well I can't speak for where you are, and my experience of the US was incredibly limited (I was there for work mostly) but Brisbane has some charm to be found. Personally I prefer Perth as it's far less humid and much more predictable weather (the amount of times I've been caught in the rain in my leathers because what started as a sunny clear day turned into a torrential flash storm has been too many). Not to mention the roads are incredibly pristine whereas Brisbane roads are in the process of major roadworks upgrades that seem to be taking forever.

I won't lie though, there are some amazing trails no matter which way you go; want to go for a coastal run? We got that covered. Mountains? got that covered too @Cooter. Long highway rides? Just go West, North or South and you can go to your hearts content and worry about refuelling to boot. Scenic rides? Plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    What kind of riding do you prefer? Any corners near you, or is it all straight line blasting (like Floriduh)?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the GSXR vs. Wisconsins Best

34:19 You're no dumbass, but you should have gone! Then leave that chick and find a local. Aussie chicks can be hot hot hot!

I actually enjoy the twists and suburban craziness most days, the straights and highway are fun but with the amount of unmarked police cars and the speed traps the cops prowl the highway a fair bit and won't hesitate to slap anti-hooning laws on you if you push it (+47km/hr over the speed limit and your license is immediately suspended and they can take your bike/car).

And we have a fair few actually, and good mountain ones too. There's Mount Nebo (renowned for being insanely dangerous/treacherous AND there's some old dude on there that throws oil and gravel on the roads to purposely slip up riders), highly recommend looking at the maps and checking out street view:

https://goo.gl/maps/hC5SBau7kYGk7vM88

Then there's Mount Mee, Glorious and Coo-tha (Coo-tha is pretty close to the CBD):

https://goo.gl/maps/eCNewAhkcycSp6TC8
    https://goo.gl/maps/MqjnSDWAxC5ZDLGB8 (attached a snapshot of the route itself)
    Mount_Coot-Tha_-_Google_Maps.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/3nD3ALfuR1WttKha7

Then there's riding through the Gold Coast, Maleny and Montville

https://goo.gl/maps/vcgtnmCx4wKUkar5A (attached snapshot of route off the main road, LOTTA Harley guys take it on Road Kings and three times as many on supersports)
    Montville_-_Google_Maps.jpg

And at the end of January I went for a road trip to Coffs Harbour (don't recommend it, the ride there is murder on your wrists with all the roadworks) but I did discover an absolute GEM for twisties about 40mins inland, all rainforest/mountains too, I was approaching from South Grafton so I was going "down" if that makes sense:

https://goo.gl/maps/RRYN7PtgCPvasjYLA
    1653_Eastern_Dorrigo_Way_-_Google_Maps.jpg

As for the comparison, it's too early to be fully appreciative of the Buell but as far as the Gixxer there's the usual talk about how being a supersport it's only fun in short(er) bursts (not for long road trips, a trip from Brisbane to Newcastle and back again showed me that) but one of the first things I can say is that the Buell is waaaay more fun. The Gixxer (kept mostly stock) grumbles like a crabby old lady when the revs are <6k so suburban riding was only fun if you keep it if 1st and just ride the throttle the whole way home/work. The Buell on the other hand is much more responsive at lower revs not to mention the throttle feedback is more sensitive than the Gixxer. Something I've noted about Suzuki's (I've had a few of them) is that they've always had a stock throttle response that delays (almost like an inbuilt launch control) and it wouldn't be "on" the way that a Kawasaki or Yamaha or MV would be.

Something else to be said about the Buell is how nimble it is by comparison to the Gixxer at low speed; the Buell feels (not sure about the truth of it) to have a much wider angle of turn and feels far easier to steer (I oversteered on the ride home from the dealership heaps of times) when you aren't able to lean it and counter steer. The Gixxer you have to lean in almost all of your corners which is relatively easy on good tyres but at slow speed it's got its own way of doing things.

So in a nutshell the Gixxer was a hell of a lot of fun, and I'd take it to the track or on country runs with gusto but it's really a specific sort of fun you can have, and because you're limited by where you can open her up and that bad power band on the low end you're reminded by just how much you're missing out on. The Buell is (so far) fun and you can feel the OOMPH in it from the moment you take off.

The other thing I'm going to be curious on is just how the maintenance will be on it, the GIxxer is insanely pedantic and pretty much fights you when it comes close to service intervals.

What kind of riding do you prefer? Any corners near you, or is it all straight line blasting (like Floriduh)?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the GSXR vs. Wisconsins Best

34:19 You're no dumbass, but you should have gone! Then leave that chick and find a local. Aussie chicks can be hot hot hot!
    Aussie girls got nothing on Russians and FSU girls. Haha I was spoiled for Australian girls once you come back to Aus you hear some of their BS and be all “pfffffft Hahahahahahahahaha noooooooope”

https://media1.giphy.com/media/13gQD...&rid=giphy.gif

Thanks for the maps! I have a goal to ride on every continent and those will get me going, woo hoo!

The Buell can be pretty dang flawless. The biggest problem with 10 year old bikes is neglect, and since they need less maintenance than other bikes, that affects them less

Mmmm Russian, Chech, and Swedish girls... pretty and willing

Thanks for the maps! I have a goal to ride on every continent and those will get me going, woo hoo!

The Buell can be pretty dang flawless. The biggest problem with 10 year old bikes is neglect, and since they need less maintenance than other bikes, that affects them less

Mmmm Russian, Chech, and Swedish girls... pretty and willing
    AND Ukranian.....don't forget that

That was part of the reason I got the Buell, besides the provenance (I've wanted one ever since I saw my friends XB12r Firebolt, and my laptop wallpaper is the 1190rs Carbon). She's only done 24,000km so I'm hoping for her first service with my mechanic (give her a proper going over) that it will be pretty smooth sailing from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalBuell View Post
    ...Mount Mee...
    (snicker)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Buell-...p2047675.l2557

Its only money...

I CAN'T BELIEVE it didn't sell for the reserve!?! Thats SO cheap!

Thats not the reserve, thats just the high bid. The reserve could be $14,999, and he's just gauging interest. Throw $12K at it... while the seller doesnt have to sell it at $12K, maybe he's just at a "f-it" point and the wife is forcing him to sell it before he can buy a new toy. He'll tell her he got $15K and he will have his new toy.

Some sellers will tell you the reserve if you message them. Just mention that you dont want to waste their time, or send an insulting offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Buell-...p2047675.l2557

Its only money...

I CAN'T BELIEVE it didn't sell for the reserve!?! Thats SO cheap!
    I was actually eyeing it off when I saw it here in the forums. Damn nice ride.

(snicker)
    Yes it's the butt of many jokes, we have a LOT of strange names here.

For instance in Perth there's a city (read: suburb) called "Cockburn" and the amount of fun I had with that, the locals get REALLY annoyed when you don't pronounce it "CO-BURN" which seems like a bit of denial :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12