Thread: 04 Transmission Upgrade to 07 Transmission

04 Transmission Upgrade to 07 Transmission

I am on my second complete engine teardown because the ALL ALUMINUM shift Cam wore out wider in the same spot. 03-05was the only years with that design. Ever motorcycle know to man have a steel shift cam or steel sleeve one like 06 and newer XB model Buell along with different style shift forks and Helical cut gears instead of straight cut. The newer counter shaft has a little bit smaller end so bearing size need to be changed on both sides. Also the main shaft fifth gear uses a different bearing but will work with case size opening. Also main shaft seal is different and a new style retaining clip and spacer to go on the primary side counter shaft. Just trying to find out from the 3 OEM bearing part numbers to get them from a bearing supply house. I only put 7,800 miles on it since the last teardown. Just need to change 3 bearings and get 1 spacer and a Retaining clip and Main shaft seal an I will be all good.

8970 an 8966 are for counter shaft bearings

8964 is main shaft bearing

Try sending a PM to Lunaticfringe, he has and knows a lot of this type of info.

You posted this in the wrong place, you might consider moving it.
    Last edited by njloco; 04-11-2020 at 02:18 PM.

You can use the exploded view parts diagram from a place like Twin Motorcycles to get the part numbers for those bearings.

Buell T full day to both of you. As you can guess I can completely strip down a XB Buell but I cant do a forum but with friends like you I will get this. I do thank you for helping me correct my mistake an I am going to check on the information you have provided.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FYI, there is a bushing in the case where the shifter pivots. For some reason they changed the OD of the shifter shafts. Make sure you change the bushing if you go to the later shifter. I think it’s cheaper too.