Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner here, 2006 XB9R with fresh engine

New owner here, 2006 XB9R with fresh engine

Hey everyone! I picked up a Yellow 2006 XB9R this weekend. The bike has 30k miles on it but the motor was replaced by SLC Harley Davidson around 700 miles ago. I have a 2006 BMW K1200S but my wife recently started riding and she bought a Ducati Monster 821 so I picked up the Buell to be a little more compatible with her ride

The bike looks all stock. Things I noticed on the test ride and the ride home: Throttle is sticky, can let go it doesn't return, and front brake feels soft. Today I will take it apart and clean everything and take stock of what has/hasn't been done, like air filter box, crank breathers, etc.

I'm looking for the factory saddlebags and a tank bag if anyone knows where I can find some!

Thanks for all the help you didn't know you gave me before I purchased the bike and officially joined the group here!

--Tony

Your a bike guy. Check cable routing/lube. Brakes are just as easy. Change fluid.

I was looking into having my new XB9S dyno'd at some point and quickly realized no Harley Dealers wanted to touch a Buell. Anyone else have that experience? Sounds like Wildrider49's dealership had no problem with it!

Congrats on the Buell! Most of the rime I get a sticky throttle I find it to be over adjusted. Check the free play at the grip and loosen it up a bit. Maybe that will do it. You'd think the dealer would have safety checked that!

Your soft front brake could be glazed pads or maybe an air pocket? Flush the fluid with DOT 4. EBC 345HH pads fit the 6 piston ZTL caliper and are great for the street. Use a brake hone to clean the disk and definitely bed the new pads.

These are pretty Buelletproof (TM) and once you get the maintenance sorted and ride it regularly it will treat you very well You can find a free copy of the service manual at Buellmods.com for procedures and suspension settings.

Hey Dan: Any shop should be able to dyno it? A bike is a bike ya know? If you're looking for tuning, the Buells used a different ECM than the Harleys did, so HD can't help unless they still have the DDFI box and even then they are limited to stock tunes. But the good news is the Buell ECM's were jailbroken a long time ago so theres no need for Hypertech piggyback nonsense.
    If it's running well, I'd leave it alone. These were tuned to the max from the factory so there isn't much left at all. If you really want to get into tuning to match an aftermarket pipe or air filter, check out Buelltooth.com.

Hey Cooter. Ya, I did find a few places that were happy to dyno my XB, just no Harley Dealers which I thought kind of strange. (Buell money is Green just like any other HD) They both told me they don't service Buells any longer. I was just curious if this is the general HD Dealership stance or maybe I just got unlucky with my couple inquiries in the Milwaukee vicinity. I'm planning to do a Drummer exhaust at some point so was thinking the Dyno would be cool to dial it in. I'm fortunate to do all the other mechanical stuff myself. My bike was pretty ill maintained, I came to find out, but it's running pretty sweet with short work. Must say, I've owned a lot of motorycles but nothing seems to have the attitude of a Buell!

Quote Originally Posted by Danthehitman View Post
    Hey Cooter. Ya, I did find a few places that were happy to dyno my XB, just no Harley Dealers which I thought kind of strange. (Buell money is Green just like any other HD) They both told me they don't service Buells any longer. I was just curious if this is the general HD Dealership stance or maybe I just got unlucky with my couple inquiries in the Milwaukee vicinity. I'm planning to do a Drummer exhaust at some point so was thinking the Dyno would be cool to dial it in. I'm fortunate to do all the other mechanical stuff myself. My bike was pretty ill maintained, I came to find out, but it's running pretty sweet with short work. Must say, I've owned a lot of motorycles but nothing seems to have the attitude of a Buell!

Most new motorcycle dealers are unwilling to work on product that more than few years old. In a Buells case, if the dealer has that policy in place, they know that the newest Buell is 10 years old, so it falls outside of that category. Plus, they may realize their techs really dont want to work on Buells.... especially if they were never a Buell dealer in the first place. For example, replacing the intake manifold seals on a Sportster is an easy 30 minute job if you're not really paying attention. On an XB, it will take hours, especially if the tech has never done XB intake seals before. Then service has to charge you the 2-3 hours of service time, that took the tech 3-4 hours to do all to replace a $10 set of seals.

The trick is to find a shop that have *Buell enthusiasts*. You will probably have to call around to find out where they are. I'm sure there are still techs who loved Buells out there somewhere, they just may be a Honda shop or maybe they all moved on?

Even Erik Buell has moved on.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-14-2020 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildrider49 View Post
    Hey everyone! I picked up a Yellow 2006 XB9R this weekend. The bike has 30k miles on it but the motor was replaced by SLC Harley Davidson around 700 miles ago. I have a 2006 BMW K1200S but my wife recently started riding and she bought a Ducati Monster 821 so I picked up the Buell to be a little more compatible with her ride

The bike looks all stock. Things I noticed on the test ride and the ride home: Throttle is sticky, can let go it doesn't return, and front brake feels soft. Today I will take it apart and clean everything and take stock of what has/hasn't been done, like air filter box, crank breathers, etc.

I'm looking for the factory saddlebags and a tank bag if anyone knows where I can find some!

Thanks for all the help you didn't know you gave me before I purchased the bike and officially joined the group here!

--Tony
    Also you may want to inspect the cable for fraying. I've found that quite a few of Buell that I've owned have had some fraying for the cables.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Even Erik Buell has moved on.
    That makes me sad

Some places don't want to dyno a ten year old bike not knowing its maintenance history. Make $100 risking $5000? NO thanks.

You won't need any dyno tuning for a simple mod like a muffler. That mod has been overdone so many times, there plenty of tunes done already, available for free even
    IDSpd.com for a plug and play Buell ECM, Buelltooth.com for DIY.

Good point, about the liability vs profit proposition!...though, I'm guessing any dyno project begins with the owner signing the motorcycle's life away with plenty of fine print which I would never read.

I have read through the Buelltooth site, very interesting stuff and I've also read that the Drummer exhaust (original Drummer) does just fine with OEM ECM mapping. I think I'll be plenty happy with an extra 8-9 horses and a few less pounds to boot.

One thing you warmer weather Buellers won't experience is how fun these guys are in COLD weather! The cold air-fuel mixture shot is nature's nitrous! These old V-twins seem to enjoy the cold...much more than my hands do

Quote Originally Posted by Danthehitman View Post

One thing you warmer weather Buellers won't experience is how fun these guys are in COLD weather! The cold air-fuel mixture shot is nature's nitrous! These old V-twins seem to enjoy the cold...much more than my hands do
    I've always wondered about that. Living in Phoenix, I've wondered how much design was done based on Milwaukee temps. My Buells always seemed to feel like they were suffering through the summers out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast