Thread: Fuel pump low level sensor-nla

Inactive

Fuel pump low level sensor-nla

I spent several hours yesterday running factory part numbers for board members to ascertain availability and quantities left in dealer system. One part that i'm now seeing fail at alarming rates due to age is the XB fuel pump LOW LEVEL SENSOR.....PART NUMBER P0789.KA----suffix B4S
    As of last week it is now listed NLA and will NOT be re-sourced from the prior manufacturer/supplier.
    There were a total of 19 combined at the Talladega and Milwaukee distribution centers so i grabbed all of them for board members and myself, to keep in stock.
    A fuel pump rebuild/refresh is completely worthless without replacing the fuel level sensor....so if needing one let me know.
    sensor.jpg

That is very thoughtful of you, thanks.

Wow, Thanks John!
    Put those on the shelf next to the TP....

Any markings on it, or a way to see if we can find a source? IIRC aren't those capacitive type level sensors?

Inactive
    my pleasure ken and thanks for the kind words.

bob: it's actually what's called an open temperature sensitive resistor. in essence, you apply a small amount of current to it and read the temperature response in ohms. when it's covered by gasoline it stays cool. when the tank level drops and it becomes exposed...it heats up and activates the appropriate ECM circuit which in turn activates both the dash warning light as well as the odometer mileage count-to-empty feature. it's a very small amount of DC current. as memory serves it activates this circuit when the ECM sees a reading of approx. BELOW 845 ohms. brilliant in design and simplicity and has made sporadic appearances in the US automotive industry for over 50 years.

not to worry: i know who the original supplier was and when these run out i'll try and source more. shouldn't be a problem.

"Thermistor"

Who ever thought that a heating element inside a gas tank with all its vapors would be a safe thing?

I'd imagine as long as there wasnt a spark while the tank was near empty and full of fumes, it should be ok.

But can you imagine the person who is trying to sell it to the first company to do it back in the day..

"Ok, so we are going to take the heated element and put it inside the gas tank, and rely on fuel to keep it cool and not burn out."

"So, what happens if it does burn out?"

"Um... nothing. Probably nothing. It should be okay...."

"Great! We will buy 10 million of them!"

John, Thanks for the response. Why did I not think you would already be on the original manufactures' Xmas card list.
    I do remember reading that a while ago, and actually it may have even been you describing their operation. Hmmm. I knew Buell had a different idea. Another reason why they Rule!!

I remember the first time that the new fandangled EFI cars had electric fuel pumps in the fuel tank. I was so conflicted!!
    Gas tanks wont explode due to improper air/fuel ratios inside the tank. Back in the Naval days....lit cigs into a bucket a fuel. Be it either diesel/JP-5. Fun trick on the FNG's

Wait!! 10,000,000? There should not be a shortage then??...

Good thing, too. Thinking about it, I wonder how Mr 'Bag would have 'fixed' it.

Last edited by rb70383; 04-16-2020 at 06:37 AM.