Thread: 1125r "chirping"?

1125r "chirping"?

Hey all,

thought about posting to the previous thread but figured a new one might be more appropriate. So I finally got the belt from HD.....FINALLY, and took the Buell for a spin there and back (about 20km each way, mostly highway) unfortunately couldn't do much more as coppers are out and about handing out fines if you aren't on the road for necessary reasons ($1650 fine for me if so), anyway on the ride home I was getting some "chirping" from the clutch as I dropped it, and what I believe it sounds like is just the clutch meshing, but to me it's still concerning as I haven't heard it on any of the bikes I've had before. To give you an idea it was merging off the freeway (100km/hr) to a suburban lane (60km/hr) merge was at around 70km/hr from 2nd to 1st and letting the engine braking take over - more of a habit rather than riding the brakes.

Anyone else had this on theirs? Should I be concerned? I've got another issue with an intermittent error code popping up (which only happens while riding) so I'll either be adding to this post or starting a new one too.

Have you ever owned a bike with a slipper clutch?

Yes I have, but I've never heard it chirp before.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalBuell View Post
    Yes I have, but I've never heard it chirp before.
    OK good. You'd be surprised by the people who dont know anything about their bikes. The guy I bought my 1125CR told me, "It comes with the cowl (on the bike), but I dont have the seat". After we did the exchange, I showed him the cowl is attached to the seat. Anyhow, I digress.

Since its happening during decel and engine braking, it may be the PO rode it like a wuss (aka like me), and it may not have ever been used. Kind of like the little old lady and the 4 barrel carb. It may need need some actuating and maybe an oil change and may come back on its own.

Other things to check would be the drive belt pulley, as when the wheel is driving the engine, its putting extra load on the pulley, and perhaps the rear wheel bearings.

On the error code, sometimes if someone de-noided the bike and put the resistor in place, I've heard the CEL will turn on and off when driven aggessively. Since I ride like I'm older than lunaticfringe, I havent actually seen this happen to me, on both of my de-noided 1125's. Cooter may know since he has tracked an 1125. Silverrider may know also, since he is a well known bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    OK good. You'd be surprised by the people who dont know anything about their bikes. The guy I bought my 1125CR told me, "It comes with the cowl (on the bike), but I dont have the seat". After we did the exchange, I showed him the cowl is attached to the seat. Anyhow, I digress.

Since its happening during decel and engine braking, it may be the PO rode it like a wuss (aka like me), and it may not have ever been used. Kind of like the little old lady and the 4 barrel carb. It may need need some actuating and maybe an oil change and may come back on its own.

Other things to check would be the drive belt pulley, as when the wheel is driving the engine, its putting extra load on the pulley, and perhaps the rear wheel bearings.
    Actually when you mention that I do remember hearing it from where the pulley would be (around the shifter), honestly didn't think of that.

I would check the tensioner pulley bearings. Theres a number on the side of them that denotes the size. They are cheap and easy to swap by hand

X2 on the wheel bearings too. They'll usually crunch and snap when going bad (they go from good to bad VERY FAST) but making a chirping not out of possibility. They are also known to fail soon after a belt change. I resolve any wheel bearing issues by putting in new ones with every tire change.