Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xb12s sometimes doesn't start

xb12s sometimes doesn't start

Hi,

I have an 2004 xb12s which is an awesome bike.

But, approximately one out of every four times I try to start the bike, it doesn't respond to the starter button.
    All is normal, i turn on the ignition key: headlights are on, I hear the fuell pump for a few seconds, three lights come on onto the display, one goes out after a few seconds (the engine light), all normal. And then.. nothing when I push the starter button.
    Also no sound or relay click at all. Absolute silence.

Then when I turn off the ignition key and switch it back on, most of the times it does start and after that all is normal.

It doesn't matter if it is a cold or warm start.

Sometimes it doesn't start a few times in a row. I get the impression it makes a different if I put the bike in gear and push it a bit front and back so that the crankshaft rotates a little. But I'm not completely sure this is the case as I have tested it only a few times and I am not sure it is a pattern.

Where to start the diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurrien View Post
    Where to start the diagnosis?
    I think the easiest thing to check is the battery. Which one is it ? Is it old ? Fully charge ?

I don't know how old the battery is. I think it is just the regular one. It is fully charged and when the bike does start like normal (which it does most of the time) the engine cranks over with a normal speed and starts how it should.
    So my guess is that the battery is not the problem, right?

Inactive
    SIR: your answer lies within one of these two threads...see the info i provided and read thoroughly paying particular attention to the starter button circuitry specs that i mentioned. and in addition check your clutch lever safety interlock switch if so equipped with simple OHM meter......your igntion fuse for corrosion on the blade tips and companion fuse box female connectors....your starter relay for same. this is where your problem lies.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ry-issue/page2

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...topped-working

<lunaticfringe drops mic and walks off stage>

Wow, a lot of info in those topics! Nice.
    Also the 2008 Buell XB Models Electrical Diagnostics Manual 99493-08Y looks like it will be very usefull.

One question lunaticfringe. Why is the number one action to get the battery tested at a a shop?
    Like I said the engine cranks over at normal speed. Doesn't that tell me already that the battery is OK or is it still possible it isn't OK enough?
    I am not questioning knowledge of you guys, just want to know what is the motivation to perform certain actions.

I also agree with LF (as usual) Next time it does that, push on the yellow button harder and wiggle it. If it starts, that a sure sign you need to replace that handlebar control, or dissassemble it and clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurrien View Post
    But, approximately one out of every four times I try to start the bike, it doesn't respond to the starter button...
    Also no sound or relay click at all. Absolute silence...
    I read this as the engine wasn't cranking at all (so not the "compression bump"/ weak battery issues).

and "Then when I turn off the ignition key and switch it back on, most of the times it does start and after that all is normal" also suggests it's not a weak/old/corroded battery.

Both of those well described situations (THANK YOU, Jurrien) sound like the starter solenoid is NOT getting the +12v signal it needs to activate the starter from a healthy battery. Even a corroded battery connection usually 'clicks' before it doesn't crank.

Thats what directed me to the common corrosion in the yellow starter switch.

The circuit that LF is describing includes that yellow starter switch, the clutch switch, the neutral light and kickstand (if equipped). Buells had different safeties through the years and domestic/ international changes as well. I can't keep up with which is which SO... IF you can start your bike normally (in neutral/stand down) without pulling the clutch lever, no need to dive down that hole yet.

You seem to think the bike is cranking normally when it does crank, so lets assume the battery is ok for now. LF is right, these bikes are hard on batteries, but it's dumb to drop $140-$200 without further diagnosis.

Perform the test I described with the yellow switch, take it apart and clean it, or if you're dying to throw money at it, they're cheap:https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-01-BUE...wAAOSw~MRdVvPP
    Shoe not included

IF wiggling, pressing harder on the yellow switch doesn't allow it to start when it's acting up, the next logical thing to do it to hold the starter switch and wiggle the clutch switch (including the wires to it), and do the same with the starter solonoid, as well as the fuses and relay in the fuse box.

Good preventative maintenance would be to clean the battery connections (remove them and sand the terminals to do it properly) and the relays are interchangeable, so the act of removing and re-installing them and the fuses can clean the terminals in the fuse box if you have any corrosion issues there.

Let us know what you find out, and good luck!

Also, try holding the start button down and turn the bars from left to right. You could have a compromised wire in the loom.

But start with lunatics advice (follow those links!), work down to Cooters and lastly mine.

Nice bike, btw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast