Thread: XB9S crunchy shift into 2nd gear normal?

XB9S crunchy shift into 2nd gear normal?

Hey everyone. So, now that I'm finally getting some ride time on my new XB9S I'm wondering if the shift from 1st-into-2nd is typically kinda harsh? It's been a LONG time since riding these Buell with low miles so I don't recall. I do remember the shift from neutral-into-1st was always a deliberate smash.

My initial ride, prior to servicing the primary fluid, had quite a few mis-shifts into 2nd, this has almost entirely gone away after fluid change. Primary chain slack appeared to look fine so I didn't mess with that.

Thanks for your thoughts and hope you're all doing well!20200418_133239.jpg

Harsh? Yes. It is the biggest ratio change and these were never 'delicate' transmissions, so it will bang into gear like it's supposed to.
    Or:
    Possibly your clutch is mis-adjusted too loosely and not disengaging all the way? Do you have trouble finding neutral at a stop? Does the bike want to creep forward in 1st with the clutch pulled?
    or worse:
    Do you mean is kind of 'skips' into gear? Like a grinding? That would be very rare on a low mile bike, It would need a ton of abuse to get to that point. That could be worn dogs on that gear set. If thats the case, it takes a LONG time to get worse but requires engine removal and splitting the cases to fix

Hey Cooter, so no issues finding neutral or any hint of clutch being still engaged at all. My XB9S has 24k miles.

I'd describe like this: If I let the engine RPM drop below 3k when I shift into 2nd I'll get a singe crunch into gear (similar to standing-still neutral into 1st). If I'm racing it hard, nearing red-line territory, into 2nd gear it sounds like it's taking a few 2-3 teeth to engage. I don't know motorcycle transmission very well but in an automotive transmission I'd equate that to wearing synchros.

I wonder if one of those ignition-cutting race shifters might be worthwhile?

Buell/harley clutch’s are notorious for the clanking. The xb9 is a little smoother when everything is adjusted correctly.
    Not just the clutch but the clutch cable and primary to. Most of the times when people get the hard into gear it’s the primary chain.

Sounds like the clutch isn’t fully releasing. Double check its adjustment under the cover access hole as well as the cable adjustment

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to take a closer look at those adjustments!

Ok, did a clutch adjustment at lunch and the shift is ever-so-slightly better. The shift sound, clunk or crunch, into 2nd is more consistent with the sound it makes Neutral-into-1st (idling at a stop).

I'm thinking this is a normal shift for this transmission. I like to think my Buell has the refinement of a T-Rex on Ice Skates

Thanks everyone for the insight and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Danthehitman View Post
    Hey Cooter, so no issues finding neutral or any hint of clutch being still engaged at all. My XB9S has 24k miles.

I'd describe like this: If I let the engine RPM drop below 3k when I shift into 2nd I'll get a singe crunch into gear (similar to standing-still neutral into 1st). If I'm racing it hard, nearing red-line territory, into 2nd gear it sounds like it's taking a few 2-3 teeth to engage. I don't know motorcycle transmission very well but in an automotive transmission I'd equate that to wearing synchros.

I wonder if one of those ignition-cutting race shifters might be worthwhile?
    Thank you for the detailed description I'd say 'slightly worn' but wouldn't worry about it. Trying to control all that torque and inertia of the parts spinning at 7k, and making the biggest ratio change on the 1-2 shift is a hard job for the dogs to align the next gears. This type of transmission doesn't need synchros because all of the gears are in constant mesh already.The noise you are hearing is the sides of the mating gears engaging, matching speed immediately and meshing with the gear shaft.

If you are clutches shifting, you should be letting off the gas (just a little) between shifts to relieve some pressure on the trans. Thats what a quickshifter does by interruption the ignition for 60m/s or so. I would highly recommend the quick shifter All you need is to replace the shift coupler with it and turn the function "on" inside the ECM. One of my favorite mods! I probably have a new one I could send you, or I know you can find them at Buelltooth.com