Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09 xb12ss electrical issue

09 xb12ss electrical issue

Been a long time since I've been on here...and unfortunately a long time since my butt has been on my buell, and now she is paying me back for my poor treatment of her. Really hoping anyone can help but she's doing something I haven't seen mentioned before and I'm not sure where to start...

As much as I hate to admit it, she's been sitting for a little over a year on stands and covered up in the garage. Battery has been dead for pretty much the entire time so yesterday picked up a new battery, topped it off overnight on the tender, and tonight installed it in the bike. As soon as I had the terminals connected the fan came on, and that was it. No position of the key or starter would either give me any lights or have any effect on the fan. Just as soon as the terminals are connected the fan comes on and stays on until the battery is disconnected. It does not appear there is power going anywhere except to the fan...no headlights, taillights, dummy lights...nothing except the fan. Any ideas?

edit - Just pulled all the fuses, ignition fuse is blown. Replaced it and it popped again as soon as I connected the battery and turned the ignition to on. Rest of the fuses looked good.
    Last edited by Miami78; 04-21-2020 at 03:25 AM.

Did you hook up the battery terminals backwards?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami78 View Post
    Been a long time since I've been on here...and unfortunately a long time since my butt has been on my buell, and now she is paying me back for my poor treatment of her. Really hoping anyone can help but she's doing something I haven't seen mentioned before and I'm not sure where to start...

As much as I hate to admit it, she's been sitting for a little over a year on stands and covered up in the garage. Battery has been dead for pretty much the entire time so yesterday picked up a new battery, topped it off overnight on the tender, and tonight installed it in the bike. As soon as I had the terminals connected the fan came on, and that was it. No position of the key or starter would either give me any lights or have any effect on the fan. Just as soon as the terminals are connected the fan comes on and stays on until the battery is disconnected. It does not appear there is power going anywhere except to the fan...no headlights, taillights, dummy lights...nothing except the fan. Any ideas?

edit - Just pulled all the fuses, ignition fuse is blown. Replaced it and it popped again as soon as I connected the battery and turned the ignition to on. Rest of the fuses looked good.
    Just pulled all the fuses, ignition fuse is blown

As soon as I had the terminals connected the fan came on, and that was it.

crossed battery cables. did you happen to purchase a new battery with part number ending in "L"?

correct for all XB's
    61EIwmEFw5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

L model. incorrect for all XB's
    81pUA1mF7DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-21-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Yep ^^^^

Replace with the correct battery and hope you didn't smoke anything important.

Hey what a blast from the past. Good to see you are still around with the Buell.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Did you hook up the battery terminals backwards?
    Son of a bitch...sure enough, did not notice they slipped me the “L” version battery! Stopping on the way home from work to swap it for the correct battery...

I owe you all a beer if we ever cross paths!

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    Hey what a blast from the past. Good to see you are still around with the Buell.
    Hey kona! Still kicking, picked up a bmw r1200rt almost 2 years ago so the Buell has just been sitting... finally overridden with guilt of my neglect so it’s time to get her back out on the road!

Son of a bitch...sure enough, did not notice they slipped me the “L” version battery! Stopping on the way home from work to swap it for the correct battery...

I owe you all a beer if we ever cross paths!

I just have my fingers crossed that nothing else was hurt except a couple of fuses. Keep us posted!

It's looking like that might be the case...new, and correct this time, battery in. No fan, speedo and tach needles sweep when the battery posts are connected, and ignition fuse pops as soon as I switch the ignition to "on". Any tips on where to go from here?

Inactive
    It's looking like that might be the case...new, and correct this time, battery in. No fan, speedo and tach needles sweep when the battery posts are connected, and ignition fuse pops as soon as I switch the ignition to "on". Any tips on where to go from here?
    do this:
    remove fuse box lid...remove all 3 relays being key switch....ignition...start.
    replace the blown ignition fuse with correct amperage new replacement.
    turn ignition switch to ON....kill switch to OFF
    now in this order:
    replace key switch relay. ignition fuse OK? continue on
    replace start relay. ignition fuse OK? continue on
    replace ignition relay. fuse now pops? you have a faulty ignition relay.
    these steps will get you started. hope that you didn't cook the ECM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast