Thread: XB9S TPS Reset, trouble achieving 0 degrees, any tips?

XB9S TPS Reset, trouble achieving 0 degrees, any tips?

Hey everyone,

So, I went to do another TPS reset as the last one didn't give me complete confidence in the 0-degree closed position. I'm noticing it hangs-up at 2 degrees and the idle adjust cable feels it's reached it's limit. Today I removed the airbox cover and gently pushed the butterfly valve a little, it then went to 0 but intermittently climbed back to 2 degrees after a few throttle blips. I'm assuming it's gummed-up a bit or perhaps it's 24k miles is showing it's wear on the throttle body mechanism?

Anyone encounter this or have ideas how to resolve? I did perform the TPS reset and it's running pretty well, I just would like to see it zero-out properly since I'm a little AR at times!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Danthehitman View Post
    Hey everyone,

So, I went to do another TPS reset as the last one didn't give me complete confidence in the 0-degree closed position. I'm noticing it hangs-up at 2 degrees and the idle adjust cable feels it's reached it's limit. Today I removed the airbox cover and gently pushed the butterfly valve a little, it then went to 0 but intermittently climbed back to 2 degrees after a few throttle blips. I'm assuming it's gummed-up a bit or perhaps it's 24k miles is showing it's wear on the throttle body mechanism?

Anyone encounter this or have ideas how to resolve? I did perform the TPS reset and it's running pretty well, I just would like to see it zero-out properly since I'm a little AR at times!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan
    First isolate where the issue is coming from. Disconnect the cables and dial back the idle screw. Rotate and return the butterfly gently by hand to see if it goes to zero on its own. If yes, then inspect and possible replace the throttle cables. If not, you may need to pull the TB to see where its hanging up and remedy it.

If it was me, I'd try to trick it to stop at 1 degree and reset the TPS there. Thats ^^^ a lot of hassle for little return IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    First isolate where the issue is coming from. Disconnect the cables and dial back the idle screw. Rotate and return the butterfly gently by hand to see if it goes to zero on its own. If yes, then inspect and possible replace the throttle cables. If not, you may need to pull the TB to see where its hanging up and remedy it.

If it was me, I'd try to trick it to stop at 1 degree and reset the TPS there. Thats ^^^ a lot of hassle for little return IMO.
    I like the way you think. I'll save that project for a day I've got some time to investigate. I did notice the first TPS reset I did, a week ago, made the bike idle much better so I'm probably splitting hairs at this point. It's fun learning all the inter-working of these Buells, your advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

I found that the two cables coming off the throttle were too tight and didn't allow it to get fully slack / go to zero. Easy. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
    I found that the two cables coming off the throttle were too tight and didn't allow it to get fully slack / go to zero. Easy. Maybe.
    Good idea. I'll have a look at that, thanks!