Thread: Spring loaded underside of fuel filler cap

Hybrid View

Spring loaded underside of fuel filler cap

The fuel filler cap on my 2009 Ulysses has a spring loaded center section. Mine is kind of stuck, I can see some rust on the spring inside this portion of the cap. What is the process to take the cap apart to clean & lubricate it?

Quote Originally Posted by jfrocke View Post
    The fuel filler cap on my 2009 Ulysses has a spring loaded center section. Mine is kind of stuck, I can see some rust on the spring inside this portion of the cap. What is the process to take the cap apart to clean & lubricate it?

First you need to remove the lock cylinder from the cap, then you should have access to that mechanism so you can lubricate it. If you do not know how to do this procedure, I highly recommend purchasing a new cap. If the cap comes apart, as the center section is spring loaded while you are riding, it is a huge fire risk. The factory service manual should cover how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    First you need to remove the lock cylinder from the cap, then you should have access to that mechanism so you can lubricate it. If you do not know how to do this procedure, I highly recommend purchasing a new cap. If the cap comes apart, as the center section is spring loaded while you are riding, it is a huge fire risk. The factory service manual should cover how to do this.
    Thanks. I actually do have a new cap (bought a whole lockset as my seat lock was stuck shut). This is where I noticed the spring loaded part that moves on the new cap but not on the old cap.

What is the function of up/down movement of the center plastic section under the cap?