Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 buell xb12 lightning starts but wont run properly

2005 buell xb12 lightning starts but wont run properly

Hi All
    I have just joined this group I live in London
    I have a 2005 buell xb12 lighting with 9k miles on clock I have owned it for around 10 years but not ridden for 5 years
    now i have time during lockdown i have got it out of my garage and tried to get it running
    It will start but as soon as i open the throttle it dies
    if i gentley feather the throttle i can get to around 3k revs but have to keep gentley tweaking throttle to keep it running
    I have tried to ride it to see if it clears but no luck

so over the last few days I have removed all fuel and flushed through
    replaced spark plugs
    removed and had injectors cleaned by a company
    put it all back together but still no luck

I have now run out of ideas as to the problem
    Has anyone got any thoughts on the fix
    Thanks
    Nye

Did the company give you injector specs showing they work?
    Usually I'm messing around with carberated stuff and that's a common symptom of sitting. As the gas solidifies in the carb. Your gas injected so the next step is the pump. Your fuel sock and filter are likely clogged up. When you try revving the bikes rpms up it requires more gas which your not getting so it Boggs out and dies. That's where I would go next.
    5 years is a long time even for gas with stabilizer in it.

Did you also do a TPS reset ? Get a fuel pressure gauge and check it before taking your fuel pump out.

Thanks njloco
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had similar problems with my '09 XB9Sx. Would take about 6 hits of the starter button to get it motor to catch, and then if I played with throttle it would die. But then bike would run fine, no problems with power at speed. Starting on warm engine was much easier.

Ended up replacing the entire fuel pump assembly, which solved all the problems. There's an internal fuel flex hose, which on mine developed a pinhole. This would apparently blow gas back into the tank, and likely never put enough fuel pressure into the injectors during cold startup.

hi
    Thanks for the help
    I think my next step is removal of fuel pump
    I wanted to try everthing else first as i have seen the posts regarding how arkward it can be
    but i think i have run out of ideas on the fix

Quote Originally Posted by horace View Post
    hi I think my next step is removal of fuel pump
    It's not that bad of a job. If I remember the procedure correctly, you need to disconnect the shock to drop the swingarm. But if you can lift the bike high enough (suspend it from a rafter or step ladder?), you don't need to actually remove the rear wheel.

Lunaticfringe / John on the forum here is a good source of fuel pump parts for a rebuild.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know if that fixed things!!!

Had almost the same symptoms on mine and it was a cracked gasket on the fuel filter. I could hear fuel rushing into the fuel lines as I cycled the pump. After I tried to start the bike the pump would cycle again and I could hear fuel rushing back into the lines.

Get a buelltooth… They are cheap.. Like 50 bucks. You want to find the problem, get ecm spy. Dig into your bikes computer. Mine ran like ****, choked up, sputtered, I was at utter loss. I did a tps reset as suggested. I adjusted the screw out like the procedure says, I started the bike. Still ran like ****, actually even worse.. I adjusted the screw back until the bike idled normal again. Than I adjusted how much fuel the damn thing was running. The reset caused it to run at 60%. I raised it to 98%. Obviously the next time the bike started the idle was really high! So I adjusted the idle screw again until it normalized, and Waaalaaaa! The ECU than self adjusted itself to 115% and well! It is a powerful little mother F'r. It ran like ****, because it was running to lean and starving itself of fuel. Pops wheelies with out clutching off the line. So you have a fuel injected bike, tune it with ECU Spy and a Buelltooth. You can do tests with the App. A lot better than spending $$$$ to be told nothing... That's my advise.

Unless you know what your doing, I wouldn't recommend a TPS reset.

Even if the Throttle position sensor is out of adjustment, your bike should run at a constant throttle (cracked open a little)

I'd agree with the others and look at the filter etc in your fuel pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast