Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel bearing/wheel

Rear wheel bearing/wheel

Hi guys,

So the bike is in the shop and has been for the last week. So far it just keeps having things done (I’m pissed). First it was the diagnostics, then changing out the belt left bad bearings.....

And now......changing out the wheel bearings leads to (apparently) the new bearings being out of spec on the outer race (slipping out of the hub on the axle side). So now their solution is a loctite application on the outer race of the bearing and letting it sit. The wheel was checked for any balance or erratic spin which showed all was fine.

Has anyone experienced this? I’m baffled as to how it would cause that much of a gap after 24,000km? The belt looks like it was either the original or has been there for a hell of a long time.

On that note, are the wheels from an XB9r (Rear/Front) compatible with the 1125r????

Belts can live a very long life. Theres no replacement interval even listed for them as far as I know.
    In my experience, Buell wheel bearings do have a habit of failing right after belt replacement though, I just put in new ones with evert tire change. It may be overkill, but I've never had a trip interrupted since

I'm ok with the Loc-tite band-aid as long as it's a fairly tight slip fit with no looseness. If the bearing falls out on its own, it's time for a wheel. IMO.

Yes, the wheels, bearings, and brakes are the same. There belt pulley is different though, yours is 70 teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by brutalbuell View Post
    the new bearings being out of spec .
    this was part of a recall.

Thanks for that sorry for the long reply I didn’t set notifications on.

So the final result was the loctite worked, but in the future I’ll have to get a new set of wheels with the three-bearing setup.

The next problem I’m hoping the Buelltooth can shed some light on for me but I don’t think so.

I’m getting intermittent errors still after the service. Just for the sake of clarity;

- all wiring was checked and confirmed no shorts or grounds
    - battery and stator are fine

Now the errors I’m getting are:

- F-R AF SYS ERROR so a P1047
    - A fuel error (it only comes on while riding, so I wasn’t able to get it clearly)

And it might be in my head but it seemed to be a bit sluggish but only after a cold start (I wait until it’s heated up) and I give the throttle a bit of a rip, then on the top right-hand of the readout cluster under the tacho there’s a count up(?) to 10?????

It does have an aftermarket can on it but no idea if the ECM was configured to fit. What’s worse is I can’t see what brand the exhaust is there are no obvious markings. So my concern is that the ECM might need to be remapped. Then my other concern is that if the bike was stored for a while the strainer is clogged on the fuel pump or the pump is gone entirely, which would explain why the errors goes away after a while when riding.

While I’m waiting for the Buelltooth to come in I’m asking you all what your thoughts are? And also if a fuel cleaner additive might be worthwhile. The way I see it, if the fuel filter is clogged and the additive cleans it a little and remove the errors then I’ll be focusing more on replacing the pump.

Yes, the fit was a tight slip fit. The mechanic wasn’t happy with the clearance though. Still going to replace the wheels though, and do the brakes and tyres when that occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by casual_observer View Post
    this was part of a recall.
    Yep, I called up Twin Motorcycles and a group in Germany, as well as a HD dealer in Pennsylvania (not ST Paul, I think it was Hammersmith). I mentioned rear wheel and they interrupted with “yeah Buell F**** up that one, the OEM bearings would eat at the hub”

Looking at this instead of OEM

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380380143609

Loctite makes retaining compound which is made for doing just that. 620 is probably the most common. Ive used it on a dirtbike crank bearing before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast