Thread: Error code 36 Cooling fan 1 (rear or right ) short to ground

Error code 36 Cooling fan 1 (rear or right ) short to ground

Hello All,

I think I know enough about bikes (and Buells) to fix most issues but this one has me stumped and I could really use some help please so solve the issue.

First a little history.
    My fan has been making a bit of a bearing noise for a few years. Last week I went of a hard run and didn't hear it when I stopped. When I got home I hooked up ECMSPY and ran a test on the fan. It didn't run and showed the following error, Error code 36 Cooling fan 1 (rear or right ) short to ground.

I went to the local Harley dealer and asked if the fan was still available, the answer was no, So I went onto eBay and purchased a 2nd hand one that came from a 2nd hand parts dealer in Australia.

What I've done.
    I pulled the bike apart to remove the old fan and found the fan blade had fallen (yep that looks broken) and installed the replacement.

But it didn't work either, same error code.

So I'm thinking my wiring has an issue.
    There are two wires to the fan. One from pin 6 on the ECU and one from the Fuse (power)

I pulled the ECU off and did a resistance test of the that wire to the plug (that plugs into the fan). Result is the wire has conductivity and no resistance. So the wire is complete and unbroken. I also tested that wire to ground and found it wasn't grounding. OK so far.

I tested the other wire to the fuse and it also has conductivity and no resistance. I checked that wire to see if it was grounding as well, and no. So its test OK as well.

Now I'm getting confused. (The fuse is OK)

I've done a resistance test of the fan and nothing. I'm not even sure if a resistance test is how you check them.

I'm stumped!!!

Any ideas??!!

Many Thanks
    Craig

Did you check for power?

Quote Originally Posted by Sdrxb12s View Post
    Did you check for power?
    Dooh!! No......I checked the fuse for power, but not the wire. I assumed with continuity it should be ok.

I went outside and checked it and it was ok!

Thank you..
    Last edited by Rampant; 05-07-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Problem solved.

Occam's Razor says that in the absence of any further evidence, the simplest solution (answer) is usually correct.

The replacement part was faulty!!

I had a brand new fan in storage for a Project i'm building and I drove there today and picked up the part. Put it on the bike tonight and it works no issues. I put the replacement fan back on and it failed straight away.

I'll contact the parts supplier and see if the can replace it.

Thank you all for reading and processing my issue.

Craig

On the road again!