Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buell 2010 XB12 SS bogging down upon accelerating

Buell 2010 XB12 SS bogging down upon accelerating

Hi Buell land, just started having an issue - when I twist a grip the bike bogs down almost like it’s getting to much air or fuel and chokes. If I roll the throttle on slowly it’s fine. I changed the spark plugs out for new ones and didn’t make a difference. I understand it’s fuel injected however I would compare it to getting a bit of junk caught in a carby model bike. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Without any testing, anyone here would just be totally guessing.

My total guess, would be to test the fuel pump for pressure (50psi) and volume. The factory unit is a solid piece but it doesn't like sitting for long periods as these bikes sometimes do
    You can find a replacement of the same WALBO brand that fits a 2003 V-6 Mustang (IIRC) for about $35 if you are the do it yourself kind of person. Lots of threads here on it, use the "advanced search" its much better than the regular search

The service manual has the procedure spelled out and you can find a free version at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com. A good cheat is to hang the rear of the bike from the rafters or an A-frame ladder to remove the rear shock and let the swing arm hang for clearance. That way you don't even pull the rear wheel off

Are your intake seals leaking?
    Is your fuel pump putting out enough flow and at the correct pressure?

If these items are factory original, they are about 10 years old.

Being that you did not mention CEL codes, I will ass-u-me none are present.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Hi Buell land, just started having an issue - when I twist a grip the bike bogs down almost like it’s getting to much air or fuel and chokes. If I roll the throttle on slowly it’s fine. I changed the spark plugs out for new ones and didn’t make a difference. I understand it’s fuel injected however I would compare it to getting a bit of junk caught in a carby model bike. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Recently I'm experiencing the exact same behavior with my 2010 XB12SX (45000km). I also changed the spark plugs a couple of weeks ago but no difference so I'm curious about the options here...

While we're at it mine had an issue on a hard blast up a mountain a few weeks back. End of an hour of solid riding and was getting pretty hot. Idle fluctuating and dipping very low at a stoplight, then bogged hard on an entrance ramp. Was still able to get up to speed on the highway and let it cool off and issue seemed to fade. Assuming intake seals, which are getting replaced when I rotate motor in a bit for rocker gasket. There will be many more people here with more advice, but I've read a lot of threads about fuel pumps and intake seals, so test those.

Mine does that every time I fill the tank too much. It’s as if there’s not enough oxygen in the fuel tank and doesn’t allow fuel to flow and is creating a vacuum. I could be wrong, but it’s the only time it does it with mine.

The easy was to determine that is to pull the gas cap off and that should resolve it instantly. If its building vacuum you may hear air rushing in as you remove the cap.

You may want to check that valve next to the filler and the hose that leads to the back of the bike. You know, the one that goes across the airbox lid. Make sure its not plugged with crud.

These are unlikely, but free to check. It never hurts to check.

Quote Originally Posted by 09XB12Ss View Post
    Mine does that every time I fill the tank too much. It’s as if there’s not enough oxygen in the fuel tank and doesn’t allow fuel to flow and is creating a vacuum. I could be wrong, but it’s the only time it does it with mine.
    Interesting, I did top it off before this ride...

They all sound like classic signs of fuel pump going bad. It is a shame lunaticFringe isn't on here anymore he had kits made up. If anyone may need one leave me a message and I will get you in touch with him.

chuff what all was in the kits and do you know how much they are? tx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast