Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 05 XB9SX Crank Seal Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Thats a great find Mash! Thingverse really does have everything, the Amazon of 3D printing LOL.

If your friend falls through, PM me and I'll make you one. I just got a spool of Gold PLA
    My friend fell through but my brother knows a few people, he's got someone printing it for 10 bucks

Pictured is the 3d printed part HD-#45206 along side the old seal. As you can see, the diameter of the tool is not sufficient to reach the outer lip of the seal, leading me to assume this is just the wrong tool. I may draw up my own tool in SolidWorks and try to get that printed. Very frustrating. I know it's not a scaling issue because the depth of the installer is perfect, just deep enough to allow the sprocket nut to thread, just not wide enough. I assume this part is for older style tube frames and sporties, not for XB's. If anyone knows what the right part number is, please let me know. I hate paying for parts that don't fit. Grr. 😡

20200517_193733.jpg

You gotta watch that video that was recommended for you...

The tool sits in the groove of the seal, NOT designed to engage the periphery.

34:19 - I'll attribute this to Notorious B.I.G

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    You gotta watch that video that was recommended for you...

The tool sits in the groove of the seal, NOT designed to engage the periphery.

34:19 - I'll attribute this to Notorious B.I.G
    I watched the video, though I rewatched it after your suggestion just to make sure, and I started to think you might be right about fitting between the lips. I came out to check how it fit on the new seal and now I'm quite sure this isn't the right part. It barely catches the innermost lip as you'll see in the pictures.

20200518_091300.jpg
    20200518_091304.jpg

So I went on a hunt through the service manual and found this page. I do believe this is the correct installer tool for Xb crank seals.
    Part No. B-45676

Screenshot_20200520-203747_Drive.jpg

What’s the part number on the seal itself and can you measure the depth from the face of the case to the snap ring grove. Last what size and pitch are the threads that tool attaches to. With that I may be able to build one. I’ll need one sooner or later so if I can replicate the tool pictured beforehand I’d be inclined to loan it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by cvc View Post
    What’s the part number on the seal itself and can you measure the depth from the face of the case to the snap ring grove. Last what size and pitch are the threads that tool attaches to. With that I may be able to build one. I’ll need one sooner or later so if I can replicate the tool pictured beforehand I’d be inclined to loan it to you.
    I ordered the part from eBay, handle not included. I had planned to use the crank sprocket nut and a ratchet to push it on. Once I get it, I plan to model it in SolidWorks and post it somewhere so other people can make their own. Unfortunately it may be as long as two months before it arrives.

I'll see if I can get you those specs later today.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123