Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 05 XB9SX Crank Seal Assistance

05 XB9SX Crank Seal Assistance

I performed a full teardown over the winter in order to repair the trans, the shift drum was slightly damaged but it's all straightened out now. When I originally put the case halves back together, there was a slight misalignment that may have damaged the crank seal (between the primary and the crank case).

After reassembly and running the bike, I did an oil change. I noticed what looked like a little bit of trans fluid in the oil, and when draining the primary I noticed the opposite. Assuming this was due to the crank seal I may have damaged, I dismantled the primary and removed the old seal. I am currently attempting to drive in the new one.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the new seal in, and I'm worried about damaging it. Another new one is probably weeks away at this point. The only other forum posts and videos I've found deal with this job on tube frame Buells, where this seal apparently just sits flush to the bore. On the XB though, there's a retaining ring inside the bore, meaning the seal has to be pressed in about ¼ of an inch, and this is what I'm having trouble with. I've managed to gently tap the seal flush with the bore, but I don't have an effective method for getting it deeper.

The last thing I tried was to use the old seal and a washer to push the new seal in, using the crank nut to press them down evenly. It doesn't seem to be working and it may be damaging the seal.
    Last edited by Mash199; 05-15-2020 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sorry I have to ask, trans fluid, as in automatic transmission fluid ?

Did you lube up before you started? Going in dry is more work

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Sorry I have to ask, trans fluid, as in automatic transmission fluid ?
    Trans fluid as in Harley chain case fluid. Its shared with the trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdrxb12s View Post
    Not the outside. I thought that would open up more possibility of leakage later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdrxb12s View Post

This is too easy

I've tinkered a lot on my bikes, but have never done formal engine work so forgive this question...

Don't a lot of us use the same 20W50 for both transmission and swingarm oil? How do you tell one fluid from the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    I've tinkered a lot on my bikes, but have never done formal engine work so forgive this question...

Don't a lot of us use the same 20W50 for both transmission and swingarm oil? How do you tell one fluid from the other?
    I certainly don't. Buells run a wet clutch which will behave differently depending on the fluid that's in it. One year I put some off brand clutch case fluid in my primary and my clutch started to slip. I didn't realize what was causing it at the time so I dissasembled it and checked the clutch pack for wear. Everything was fine, so I reassembled it and filled it with with proper Harley brand chain case fluid and the slippage went away. I can't speak to running 20w50 in the primary, I've never done it, and the service manual certainly doesn't indicate that you're supposed to use it that way. Maybe the older buells share fluid, but I'm quite sure all XB models and blasts are supposed to have both oil and trans fluid. The trans and crank case are separate from eachother

I would have no idea how anyone could tell a little ATF mixed with 20w-50 or vice versa...

The clutch and primary chain share fluid in the primary case and the fluid should match whatever the CLUTCH MFG recommends. If the clutch is Buell stock then H-D Formula + is the right stuff. Some clutch mfg's recommend anything from 20w-50 to ATF and they are all OK to put in the primary.

The engine oil stays in the swingarm and not in the crankcase. The crankcase and transmission share the engine oil. Use the correct weight for the lowest temp you will ride in.

You can use a short length of PVC that matches the OD of the seal to drive the correct depth you are looking for, without distorting the seal face.

I don't know off the top of my head what that depth is. If the service manual doesn't spell it out for you, give Hammer Performance a call, they do lots of work on Buells.

You can get the service manual for free at Buellmods.com of Buelltooth.com

Should be able to use the old bearing as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast