Thread: 05 XB9SX Crank Seal Assistance

Threaded View

05 XB9SX Crank Seal Assistance

I performed a full teardown over the winter in order to repair the trans, the shift drum was slightly damaged but it's all straightened out now. When I originally put the case halves back together, there was a slight misalignment that may have damaged the crank seal (between the primary and the crank case).

After reassembly and running the bike, I did an oil change. I noticed what looked like a little bit of trans fluid in the oil, and when draining the primary I noticed the opposite. Assuming this was due to the crank seal I may have damaged, I dismantled the primary and removed the old seal. I am currently attempting to drive in the new one.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the new seal in, and I'm worried about damaging it. Another new one is probably weeks away at this point. The only other forum posts and videos I've found deal with this job on tube frame Buells, where this seal apparently just sits flush to the bore. On the XB though, there's a retaining ring inside the bore, meaning the seal has to be pressed in about ¼ of an inch, and this is what I'm having trouble with. I've managed to gently tap the seal flush with the bore, but I don't have an effective method for getting it deeper.

The last thing I tried was to use the old seal and a washer to push the new seal in, using the crank nut to press them down evenly. It doesn't seem to be working and it may be damaging the seal.
    Last edited by Mash199; 05-15-2020 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Spelling