Thread: How well do buells do in storage?

How well do buells do in storage?

I am interested in buying a 2003 buell XB9S with less than 1000 miles on it. It looks like it was purchased and put in storage. What are some things I should be wary of? Have there been any recalls that I should check for?

Any motorcycle put into storage that long and left sitting is going to need a bunch of maintenance. Tires are shot, belt is probably on its way out. Fuel tank will need to be flushed and cleaned out. Fuel pump is probably bad...if not its likely on its way out, especially if there was any gas or moisture in the tank. Injectors probably need cleaned out. Battery is shot of course. Hopefully it was stored properly in a dry area, or you may have corrosion on the top end if moisture got inside the cylinders through a open valve. Should I continue?

Tires : $400-500
    Belt $175
    Fuel pump $200 (lunatic fringe kit)
    Battery $100+
    Replace all fluids $50-$100

This is just going to be to get you started... there may be more. I wouldn't fire the motor until you have a chance to "ease it in" by lubricating the top end and gently rolling it in gear with the spark plugs out. Once you start it, you could have a rod knock or something else that would explain why someone bought a $10,000 motorcycle and just parked it after 1000 miles.

All I can say is the purchase price better be cheap, because if you start it before going through it, you could cause some serious damage. At this point, I'd consider it a non-running bike.

There was a wheel bearing service bulletin that some Canadian guy can tell you about. Scott with 2 T's if I remember correctly. And the 2003 uses a one year only belt that was replaced with a stronger one in 2004.

Here's the listing btw:
    https://www.goobike.com/spread/85012...tml?disp_ord=4

It looks like it's in really good condition but I dont know much about this. It's certainly waxed haha. It's about 6300 dollars US. There is a cheaper listing for one with about 15000 miles for about 4500 dollars. Is that more reasonable? I know there's a lot of variables but I don't really know what to look for. This is my second bike.

God love yah casual_observer I knew you would remember. We'll get along just fine.

Oh yah the wheel bearings..... black is bad so I've learned. Look out for them.

Honestly the color probably doesn’t make much of a difference anymore. Harley/Buell probably changed bearing vendors over the years so who really knows. Many different vendors may use black seals. Not saying you’re wrong, but I wouldn’t vilify a bearing over its seal color.

http://badweatherbikers.com/buell/bu...l_Bearings.pdf
    Last edited by casual_observer; 05-16-2020 at 04:16 AM.

Yah they do seem to range in colors alot. I've seen (black) orange and blue as the most common. And the ones I just picked up are brown NSK's.
    Here something to read if your bored.
    https://www.qualitybearingsonline.co...d-information/

In my opinion, both are over priced, especially the one with 1000 miles, I payed about half that a couple of years ago and my SS had less mileage ( 617 miles ). Now it depends on how the bike was stored and looked after, I haven't changed a thing except for the fluids and the battery everything else on it is original, yes including the tires, and I ride it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePursuer View Post
    Here's the listing btw:
    https://www.goobike.com/spread/85012...tml?disp_ord=4

It looks like it's in really good condition but I dont know much about this. It's certainly waxed haha. It's about 6300 dollars US. There is a cheaper listing for one with about 15000 miles for about 4500 dollars. Is that more reasonable? I know there's a lot of variables but I don't really know what to look for. This is my second bike.
    I bought a cheap lightning and have worked through a host of layered issues, one masking another, as well as cosmetics.It had done 16k but in all weathers and been under a cover outside (Buell death). But, it ran and had clean oil and a good motor. there may be things to do on either bike but I would go for a used one every time, even if the use is infrequent. As Casual Observer pointed out the fuel pump will be toast (found pictures on here before) and the tank is likely to need more than a flush (again I've seen pictures on here). There's a good chance it will need to be removed and solvent flushed. Timely and expensive.

It looks stunning and dry stored so worth asking the question as to whether the fuel was drained prior to storage. The pump may have survived but will probable need to be refurbished non the less but the tank may be okay.It has the early belt which I have found more expensive and harder to find. The electrical connections will need going through as well as the tyres, battery and fluids. I don't know the market so you'll have to decide for yourself on that.