Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Me Xb12 Best Windscreen?

New to Me Xb12 Best Windscreen?

Hello everyone,

I just recently came into ownership of a 08' uly and really enjoy the bike. The previous owner had installed auxiliary LED lights that mounted under the headlights and a Nautilus horn. I've had troubles with bad voltage drops causing no start issues. hoping its just the previous owners add ons that I have removed to correct that issue🤞🏻

Question is was there anything from the factory that does mount in the two bolt holes under the headlights on the lower triple tree besides the front brake line one the left side(looking from the front of the bike)? And has anyone tried the CalSci taller windshields? I'm looking for a warmer windscreen for the colder northern riding zone I live in.

First off, get the battery load tested then clean all the grounds, no matter what they look like, put an anti-corrossive on them, don't forget the ground behind the headlight. Nothing goes under the headlights, can't help with the windshield.

I had the local battery store load test the battery and all was ok there. I cleaned all the ground connections including the one mentioned. I also relocated the battery ground as it seemed odd that it was trying to ground thru the battery box and not directly to the frame(battery ground to frame, harness ground wires, battery box mount, then bolt vs the order I found it in which was in exact opposite order). All this has helped. Still have times where it seems as though the bike needs to be mule'd a bit to start after short rides yet still enjoying the handling and ride quality. Did a tps reset with 14k miles on the odometer and that cured the issues others have expressed in other threads. Was able to source a factory original horn to replace the add on replacement from the previous owner/s and the drain issues have almost disappeared. Weather is much nicer now hoping a few longer rides will sort out this issues as I do not know how long it was stationary. I've read other saying buell's have a quirkyness to the starting habits and I may need to learn more about this uly's preferences.

You do know not to blip the throttle like they do on Harley's if not, don't do it on Buells, they don't like it !
    Sounds like your getting it under control and thanks for posting up the outcome so far.

If you are having cranking issues where the bike will crank-pause-crank-crank-start... the battery is weak or cheap.

I have found that the auto parts store testers don't read motorcycle batteries well, and give false positive readings.

If your Buell is cranking that way, you can either gat a good brand (Deka/Big Crank/H-D) GEL battery with at least 220CCA. The 200CCA Wal-mart batteries won't cut it. Make SURE the terminals are on the right sides!

You can also extend the life of your existing battery by relieving a little pressure on it using the patented Buell Bump(TM)
    The Buell Bump helps the bike get over the initial high compression stroke using the cranks own momentum. Just TAP the start button to get the engine to rotate to compression, then after .25-.5 seconds HOLD it to start the bike, and the bike should no longer do the pause thing.

I noticed that after doing the tps reset how the Buell efi operates differently than the MMI Harley efi system I am more used to as a late model rider vs a warranty assurance rider. Buell efi manages warm ups at more of a constant set rpm where the MMI utilizes a high and low rpm configuration to accomplish a proper warm up cycle prior to riding. I was going to bring that up as I have not seen it in other threads yet I have not read very many as a new Buell owner. Thank you for mentioning that. . I do not know the ecm background yet as to if its a OEM or EBR yet it looks like a OEM with the factory touring tune program.

Prior to doing more long distances away from home and the higher heat of summer I am looking into that also.. I have had other HD batteries last for 4 to 5 years and never had a cranking only issue. The current battery is doing ok yet like you said others do better. The Buell bump I have not heard of or tried yet I will practice it on some of the shorter rides to see if that makes a starting improvement.

Good deal, hope it works out for ya
    Post pics of your new baby!

6D14786F-EB85-4AA0-80AA-C180A9A9AC90.jpeg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast