Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Me Xb12 Best Windscreen?

Yup, I had done the same prior to trying the grounding mods to isolate exactly where the grounding issue were as there are multiple on the uly i have. and so far all indicators are to the tail section grounding as the other electrical issues of headlights burning out of fluctuating in brightness were from a failing voltage regulator. I don't know if the bad grounding lead to the regulators malfunctioning. Yet in the short test rides Ive done after repairs it may have contributed to the regulator rectifiers short life of only 15k miles. I will have to try the wire wheel as I have read lots of other people have had to aggressively clean the ground surfaces and its pathway components connecting points due to anti corrosion coatings on many of the aluminum pieces of the uly and other buells

The trick with bare aluminum is not to wait. It's oxide skin will start to grow back immediately, that's why aluminum doesn't rust.

Once you get down to the base metal with a clean tool used for aluminum only(sandpaper, wire brush, etc), install the ground strap and then use whatever grease/coating you like

What has worked for me very well is clean the ground wires and and the grounding spots then apply roller chain lube, it has an anti-corrosive in it, so far it has lasted for years.

I will keep that in mind once I find out how bad the corrosion or overspray of coatings is elsewhere in the grounding pathways
    Last edited by RescuedXb; 08-02-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Thats kinda what I was understanding cooter from other posts by members, clean all the surfaces connect them then apply the protective coating to preserve the connection from water, air, or other contaminates now its just a matter of setting aside a day or two to make sure its done properly as I don't want to into this problem mies away from home as other members have experienced.
    Last edited by RescuedXb; 08-02-2020 at 07:02 PM.

My 2008 Uly has terrible wind pressure and wind noise. I installed a taller Adjustable windscreen from Modstad that helps quite a lot. They offer the windscreen in different heights based on how tall you are..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123