Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stator testing

Stator testing

Tested 3 terminals, ab bc cd.. all had 0.3 ohms resistance with no short to ground on either wire. Any other tests? My bike wasn't charging last year so I parked it due to other issues I'm fixing as we speak.. thanks all. Might just buy another stator as I can smell the smell of burnt wiring on the plug end. Prob toast but

Did you check for AC output? Check the plugs to make sure the theyre not burnt/corroded/damaged.

Yeah I think I did last year.. don't remember what the reading was. Motor is still apart so I can't run it yet.

I may have an extra stator in the garage. New OE ones from St Paul are $150-ish.

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-s-xb12r-s-b4d

I’d make you a deal on mine, but you’ll have to buy new stator bolts. I think they are available from Harley on the cheap.
    2004-up Sportster (pn 3029)

I hate taking the primary crank nut off unless I really have to, so my inclination would be to test for ac voltage output first before removing the stator. My UNWANTED ADVICE. Lol

You have to replace the stator bolts? Why

The manual says too:
    Buellmods.com

IMO, not necessary but no one asked for my advise.

Yeah I'd just loctite old bolts an run it

Quote Originally Posted by XB12Steve View Post
    Yeah I'd just loctite old bolts an run it
    Just remember if one does break, you need to dump the fluid, pull the primary back off, hope the bolt doesnt break the magnets off of the rotor, hope the debris doesnt get into the transmission, hope the stator doesnt short and kill the rectifier.

But you would save $.86/bolt... and you'd need 4 of them. So, yeah... I see your point.

Lmao. Why would the bolts break it's a stationary part? Snug with loctite will be more than sufficient. I doubt they need 200 lb ft of torque applied to them

No, the only require a minimal amount of torque. Its actually a very small number, like 25-30 in/lbs. But I have broken these bolts on removal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast