Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reuse intake seals

reuse intake seals

I'm curious to know if anyone has used high temperature silicon sealant to reseal viable intake seals. I find it odd that my XB uses a plumbing fitment designed for pressure neutral applications on a low pressure system. That said, its what we have to work with and when my seals came out they were actually in good condition apart from dirt build-up on the mating surface where the seal failed. My Ducati used silicone sealant everywhere and I still have plenty left and was tempted to use it. The reason being that so many folks have had new seals fail to seal. Even my Husabergs use silicone instead of exhaust gaskets and for the casings. So, my question is: has anyone tried using silicone or does anyone know why this might be a bad idea?

Thanks.

For the price or new seals and the PAIN IN THE ASS it is to replace them on an XB, I would not recommend this. I’m not saying it won’t work, but when you figure in the time involved, it is a false economy.

This motor has been around a long time and people have tried to reinvent the wheel on these intake seals since it was introduced. The closest “fix” has been the James blue seals.
    Last edited by casual_observer; 05-16-2020 at 06:52 PM.

I'm with this guy ^^^

Stock or James, and follow the manual exactly without adding any old-wives tales.

You'll want one of these:
    Seems silly, but the amount of time you save will be dramatic

Yes, I had to modify a few tools to get the job done. Nothing a little creativity and an angle grinder couldn't take care of. Shame I can't angle grind myself a little more patience. I did find some Buell folks, by chance, in their shop (still in lock down) and they've posted out parts (throttle idle cable was shagged).

When the Bolt seals go, and they clearly will, They're going back in with silicone and then I'll know. Its been the go-to for all my other bikes including my BSA '66 works scrambler. I'll update this thread with the result.

I've used some fairly expensive white Krytox grease with very good results. $3-400 for a little ass tube of it, but it works.

You can purchase a pound of it at WalMart for only $2,148. https://www.walmart.com/ip/KRYTOX-28...7d570916535ce8

Many years ago an old time Marine Mechanic told me about Super Lube. It really works well and costs a bit less than Krytox. $7 at Harbor Freight. You can also get it in most Hardware Stores. https://www.harborfreight.com/85-gra...dge-93744.html

I'm all for trying something out of you want to, back in the day, I was told by a bike mechanic to use a 3M product on sealing up my covers on 1970 Bonneville but the trick was to not use any gaskets and make sure the surface was really well cleaned. I took his advice and the end result was a Triumph that everyone knew didn't drip any oil, I would even go do far as to park my bike in with the Harley's and roll out a small white towel under the bike, then I would go and do whatever and come back to find and bunch of Harley guys standing around my bike looking at the still totally white towel, it was pretty funny.

It was pretty messy to apply and there were some steps in the application but it worked flawlessly !

I would never have had thought of using his 3M product for this purpose had it not been recommended to me and me having the nerve to try it !
    Last edited by njloco; 06-13-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmcn49 View Post
    You can purchase a pound of it at WalMart for only $2,148. https://www.walmart.com/ip/KRYTOX-28...7d570916535ce8

Many years ago an old time Marine Mechanic told me about Super Lube. It really works well and costs a bit less than Krytox. $7 at Harbor Freight. You can also get it in most Hardware Stores. https://www.harborfreight.com/85-gra...dge-93744.html
    Theres a tube of that under my bench I use for the bearings on a coffee roasting machine. Food grade to boot. I'll remember this when the time comes.

Outthere, you do coffee roasting machines? Drool....

Big fan of Superlube though. The Home depot has it too.

I do em'. Have 3 currently, no plans to acquire any more. Were on the grinder kick now.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast