Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Code 13 Always lean

Code 13 Always lean

Okay need some opinions from some of the big brains here. The bike runs great around town and feels great at WOT all the way to redline, but once getting on the highway as soon as I hit 80mph light comes on, lean code, stumbles a bit and runs horrible until it is shut off and restarted.

Mods... buelltooth exhaust, K&N, opened up air box lid.

8k miles on the bike and it’s a 2006 XB12R

What has been changed or checked since it started.
    New plugs, coil, wires - no change
    New o2 sensor- AFV was in the 110 to 115 range before this and now it’s in the 90’s after the change but still getting the light
    Cleaned all grounds
    Multiple TPS resets
    All sensor read outs look good, nothing jumps out as out of spec.
    Checked for intake manifold leaks and there does not appear to be any.
    Battery and charging system are good.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

So once you shut it off and restart it, the problem goes away ?

Yeah, shut it off and restart and the stumble and lean pops go away until you get back up to cruising at 75-80 again and the check engine light comes back and and starts the shenanigans again. Rides great at all RPM’s and throttle setting, pulls very well up to 110+ MPH. Yet any steady throttle at turnpike speeds instant lean code.

Should also add I changed the VSS last year but for an unrelated problem, also shook down every wire with it running to see if I had a break in the harness somewhere.... no change.

Throttle body is very clean and the bike does not use any oil.

I’ve read through probably a few hundred posts on here looking for a solution and all the usual suspects keep coming up negative.
    Last edited by The Pilot; 05-17-2020 at 03:18 AM.

Then to eliminate your fuel pump, check the pressure and flow rate.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Then to eliminate your fuel pump, check the pressure and flow rate.
    My guess is Njloco just hit the nail on the head! I experienced this with my 04xb12r last summer. Fuel pump rebuild- filters - pump- regulator. My problem was solved with this HFP kit although there are a few other great options out there.

3.9 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews
    HFP-361-BUR Fuel Pump with Strainer and Regulator Replacement for Buell Firebolt XB12 EFI (2003-2010)

Thanks for the input.

Well, loaded the original tune back on the bike as a shot in the dark...new tune had been on the bike for a few months, but I don’t recall if I went on the highway since it was loaded. Anyway, stock tune back on the bike, go for a spin... no problems. Can tell it’s a bit lean, but no stumble, no check engine light. Cruised at 80-90 with no issues. I think the tune I got from Buelltooth may be the issue. Only thing that really stands out with the buelltooth tune as odd are the rich / lean voltage is way different than the stock settings.

I’ll definitely start getting the parts together though to service the fuel pump... probably just to do it as preventive maintenance at this point.

Now to find a different tune...

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
    Thanks for the input.

Well, loaded the original tune back on the bike as a shot in the dark...new tune had been on the bike for a few months, but I don’t recall if I went on the highway since it was loaded. Anyway, stock tune back on the bike, go for a spin... no problems. Can tell it’s a bit lean, but no stumble, no check engine light. Cruised at 80-90 with no issues. I think the tune I got from Buelltooth may be the issue. Only thing that really stands out with the buelltooth tune as odd are the rich / lean voltage is way different than the stock settings.

I’ll definitely start getting the parts together though to service the fuel pump... probably just to do it as preventive maintenance at this point.

I can tell you that When you pay for Dave’s (at Buelltooth) tuning service- He will dial it in for you dead on! I paid his fee to tune my Hammer build and it is amazing! He was super easy to work with and very supportive. I am trying to learn how to tune myself and am not ready to risk it yet by doing it myself. In time- I’ll get there.

Thanks for the input.

>Old Tune no running issues.
    >Install New Tune and there are running issues.
    >Reinstall Old Tune and running issues go away.

You probably don't have a fuel pump issue.

Is your new tune making EEPROM changes?
    Is it making only fuel map changes or both fuel and timing map changes?

Quote Originally Posted by mmcn49 View Post
    >Old Tune no running issues.
    >Install New Tune and there are running issues.
    >Reinstall Old Tune and running issues go away.

You probably don't have a fuel pump issue.

Is your new tune making EEPROM changes?
    Is it making only fuel map changes or both fuel and timing map changes?
    Update to the update, stock exhaust and tune back on the bike. Put 40 miles on it today, code 13 again as soon as I hit 80mph. AFV steady at 100.5, but idle did rise up to 1300-1400 for probably 2 minutes after getting off the highway. Going to load the parts cannon and do the fuel pump and intake seals. Would like to just change them anyway just to have fresh stuff in there... no idea how long this bike was in storage before I got it. Anyway, will update if this fixes the code 13 issue once I swap them out. Then work from there on the other stuff.

Update to the update, stock exhaust and tune back on the bike. Put 40 miles on it today, code 13 again as soon as I hit 80mph. AFV steady at 100.5, but idle did rise up to 1300-1400 for probably 2 minutes after getting off the highway. Going to load the parts cannon and do the fuel pump and intake seals. Would like to just change them anyway just to have fresh stuff in there... no idea how long this bike was in storage before I got it. Anyway, will update if this fixes the code 13 issue once I swap them out. Then work from there on the other stuff.
    Replace the Throttle Body seals with Genuine James seals, don't use the HD seals. You can purchase GJ seals from St. Paul HD/Buell. I tuned my 07TT with the old ECMSpy and Megalog Viewer. Things worked out pretty well. Are you using the old ECMSpy on your 06?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast