Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What shim kit & crank/cam tools?

It shouldn’t need the crank locked in place. I would make sure to pull both spark plugs at the same time, so you don’t have to deal with pressure in the other cylinder moving the engine.

Don’t forget to inspect/replace the timing chain guides. I’d hate to see you do all that for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    It shouldn’t need the crank locked in place. I would make sure to pull both spark plugs at the same time, so you don’t have to deal with pressure in the other cylinder moving the engine.

Don’t forget to inspect/replace the timing chain guides. I’d hate to see you do all that for nothing.
    Thanks. I believe I have new guides too from my parts order last year. Newer revision of the part as well, from what I recall.

I thought there was more to this thread.
    If all you're doing is a valve adjust, theres no special tools I can think of? Pulling the plugs is a good idea, or turn it over slowly instead of fighting compression for no reason. Either way make sure you're on the heel of the cam lobe you are checking.

If they are close and you want to sand them OG style, good god make sure the faces are parallel.

The set you got from SPHD should go to .000 so set them on the loose side of spec and the next interval you owe me a beer if you don't have to pull the cams

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I thought there was more to this thread.
    If all you're doing is a valve adjust, theres no special tools I can think of? Pulling the plugs is a good idea, or turn it over slowly instead of fighting compression for no reason. Either way make sure you're on the heel of the cam lobe you are checking.

If they are close and you want to sand them OG style, good god make sure the faces are parallel.

The set you got from SPHD should go to .000 so set them on the loose side of spec and the next interval you owe me a beer if you don't have to pull the cams
    I believe I will be doing much more work while I'm at it, actually. Aside from the valve adjustment, I'm on the hook for replacing the main engine cover gasket, which also means replacing several water pump related components. I've also got the high bar kit I intend to address while the bike is apart.

I meant more to the engine work, because you asked for a crank locking tool. I don't know what a "main engine gasket" is but I don't think you'll need a locking tool for that either.

If you are going to address the crank nut (re-torque/Loc-tite) and the water pump pin, then you will need it, and it's worth every penny to just buy one. Heck, you can put it up for sale on here after you use it

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I meant more to the engine work, because you asked for a crank locking tool. I don't know what a "main engine gasket" is but I don't think you'll need a locking tool for that either.

If you are going to address the crank nut (re-torque/Loc-tite) and the water pump pin, then you will need it, and it's worth every penny to just buy one. Heck, you can put it up for sale on here after you use it
    I have the following parts which I believe I purchased to address a leaking engine cover last year. I've temporarily fixed the problem by smearing some Permatex RightStuff on a certain area, but the gasket has failed completely. I think what I've got here are the parts needed to upgrade to the MY2010 water pump configuration - assuming I need a crank locking tool?
    • R0022A.3AM clutch cover assembly (2010)
    • Q0428.3AM waterpump shaft assembly (2010)
    • CB0028.1AM thrust washer (2010)
    • Q0430.3AM oil seal (2010)
    • Q0431.3AM rotary seal (2010)
    • R0001.1AM clutch cover gasket (2010)
    • Q0426.1AM water pump gasket (2010)
    • CJ0001.1AM sealing ring

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12