Thread: City X xb9sx - Revival from hibernation

Hybrid View

Cool City X xb9sx - Revival from hibernation

Hi Everyone!

Just about to wake up the Buell!!!
    2005 - Lightning City X

Mostly research is done. Will be putting in fresh Transmission +, Engine oil and fuel.

Fuel will be drained from drain plug near rear foot peg
    > should i worry about getting new fuel drain plug OR just re-use???
    > if a new one is required, sourcing can be hard for original parts

Transmission and engine oil will be topped up fresh after fuel is changed

Any advice on torque values for transmission cover (for inspection) plate, the drain nuts for transmission and engine oil?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Bike's been sleeping nearly two years

Thanks!

You may also want to concider replacing the brake fluid.

The drain plug should be fine just check the state of the o ring on it. If the fuel level was very low you might end up having to do some repair to the fuel pump assembly. If you need torque values then check the manual at Buellmods.
    https://www.buellmods.com/

I don't go by the torque specs, your working with mostly aluminum, just seat it and then a little tighter, especially for the oil drain ports.

Same drain plugs, NEW o-rings. They don't need to come from Harley, they are just o-rings.

Buell parts are very easy to find.

If you are going to work on your bike yourself, FIRST get the service manual from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com it has all the procedures and torque specs in it. For the drain plugs, the values are supposed to be in INCH pounds.

Like NJ said, it's an O-ring, so just tighten it enough to seal that o-ring to aluminum.

Have fun with the new ride!

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the advise, Sorry for the late response.
    I go the manual and have got all the torque values. Drained the fuel yesterday (what a mess!) 6L.
    Put in new fuel and today will drain oil and transmission after a ride around. Hopefully everything will work out nicely.

Howdy, I’m in the same boat. Reviving an 05 CityX after storing it away for 4 years. I was in a hurry at the time & just siphoned the gas from the top thinking I would move back & get the bike running again within a year. Anyhow... 4 years later... I got a fresh battery in & all fluid changed, the bike turns over but no ignition. I knew this would happen & plan to clean everything from the fuel injectors to the fuel pump.

Upon start I Do Not hear the buzzing sound of the fuel pump priming. So my question for the experienced Buell guys & gals is this... it is worth it to replace the filters & try to get the pump working again? Or just buy a new complete pump Assymbly and call it a day?

Thanks in advance. Nick : )

Check your fuel pump fuse, and if it's good, check the fuel pump relay contacts, it's also under the seat. You should replace all the contacts, any auto parts place will have them, just take one with you and match it up. Clean all the grounds, no matter what they look like and put an anti-corrossive on them, let us know what happens.