Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do we remove the chin fairing without damaging it?

It's very strange that you cant get the whole chin fairing off without flexing it, I can take mine off without spreading it at all.

There was a kit back in the day offered by ASB to eliminate the rivets. I did the same just so you can remove only one side of the fairing for oil changes.

The chin spoilers on both my Xb12ss 08 and 09 come off in one piece very easy with no stress or bending. Not sure why yours comes off so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    The chin spoilers on both my Xb12ss 08 and 09 come off in one piece very easy with no stress or bending. Not sure why yours comes off so difficult.
    I agree with you, on every XB I've owned, they pretty much fall off once the screws are removed.

All 6 of those small pan head screws replaced what used to be rivets. So yes, all 6 holes had rivets in them. Is this how they come stock?

Also not sure what you're talking about with bosses on the muffler or whatever. The bike came that way, had a jardine can when i got it. Sounds beefy too

It does come off if you push down and forwards after removing the bolts. The thing is, some of those t27 bolts were harder to reach or hard to set up the nut behind while using one finger or two. By eliminating the need to remove the whole assembly, I can make the removal much simpler. Now to change oil all I have to do is remove the right side fairing, and then the bracket that it mounts to. This will prevent the chin spoiler from ever having to flex or bend when servicing the bike. Plus, it gave me an opportunity to repair the stress cracks and deep clean the chin spoiler in the kitchen sink.

All those t27 bolts screw into nut serts. Which dont require access to the backside. One hand install of the bolt while securing the chin spoiler with the other.

Quote Originally Posted by young scooter View Post
    All 6 of those small pan head screws replaced what used to be rivets. So yes, all 6 holes had rivets in them. Is this how they come stock?

Also not sure what you're talking about with bosses on the muffler or whatever. The bike came that way, had a jardine can when i got it. Sounds beefy too

4 of the 6 places you have pan head screws came stock with rivets. The bottom 2 behind the front wheel came with T27 torx screws that screw into the stock muffler.

ah....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12