Thread: Tank Bags and Quick Release systems.

Tank Bags and Quick Release systems.

Hey All,

I' ve been riding my buell xb12ss 2009 since.. well 2009, and I've always ridden it with a backpack. But I recently did a short distance without a backpack and it felt refreshing. I have been googling for a tankbag for the xb12ss, but the only options are straps (which I don't want to use). Does someone knows about a good alternative for a quickrelease system for an xb12ss?

Kind regards,

Koen.

Well magnets are out, unless you glue on some magnets to the inside of the air filter cover, just make sure they face the opposite pole of the magnets on your bag. The fuel filler opening is not only recessed but it's also the main air intake for the air filter so, that kind of leaves out quick disconnect types.

I'll stick with straps.

For my tank bag I ran straps under the air box cover, behind the filler, and the rear clip I wrapped around the upper shock mount with the clip just above the front of the seat.

It sits far enough back I can fill up without removing it, but I can still unclip the front and roll it over if I need too.

I have a thought of using one of my extra air box covers to permanently attach clips and just bolt that on before a trip. I don't trust magnets. Way to many Supervillains use them

Do any of you guys have recommendations? I am planning a long trip from TX to TN on my XB9SX (yeah, I'm gonna be sore). I don't really feel like wearing a backpack the whole trip.

I just have the Buell tank bag, mounting system utilizes the front air box bolts and then bolts under the seat. It’s a bit bulky, but it doesn’t bother me when riding.

Thank you all for the info... Yet another question, if I would just take a generic quick lock ring and drill some holes in my airbox cover, would it be strong enough to hold the tankbag?

I don't see why it wouldn't be strong enough. If you doubt it just back up the fastener with a fender washer or something. I'm picturing a lock ring like a phone mount just way bigger?

This is probably the best option. I've had several over the last 10 years and have one on my Uly right now. Assuming you can find one, snatch it up.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ag-(92330-06Y)

Otherwise, a strapped one that gets mounted in the same fashion would be the next best option, such as a Cortech in various models.

This is the larger version. Nylon straps, it wraps around the steering neck, but you could use a pencil type soldering iron to burn a hole through the strap (melting it) and attach it the same way as the factory did.
    Maybe cut the strap that goes around the frame and melt it as well, would probably turn out pretty good. I used one of these on my 1190's.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts..._tank_bag.html

I use an Eclipse tank bag on my Ully, it's humongous but you can make it smaller, I've been using them since the early 80's and yes it straps on and does not get in the way at all except when gasing up.