Thread: What a trip!

Lightbulb What a trip!

I took a little trip on my "new to me" 2005 XB9SX. Nice trip, really. Weather was great, roads were nearly empty.

As I got off the highway, I was nearing a Whataburger for dinner. I started to downshift and something wasn't right. I couldn't reach the shifter! As I looked down (quickly), I see my shifter hanging in the air!

CRAP!!

So, I pulled into the Whataburger (BTW, I live in North TX). Get everything shutdown and stare in disbelief. My gosh, what now?

This nice couple sees me and I walked over to them to beg for a ride to the O'Reilly's nearest the restaurant. It was the only thing still open.

After 2 separate trips to get the right bolt (pitch was a problem), I got it all buttoned up. I bought those folks dinner!!

Anyway, I share this with you guys as a lesson learned from me to you. Check EVERYTHING and ensure it's all tight.

I swear that bolt was just fine when checked previously. Once I replace it with the right bolt, it's getting some Loctite blue, that's for sure!!

Peace out and keep it all between the ditches.

Welcome to the forum! That's quite the first ride bonding experience. Glad you stayed safe.

These V-twins have a way of shaking all sorts of fasteners off. On my own first ride on my '09 XB9SX the chin spoiler totally fell off on the highway. Thankfully the dealership was good enough to pay for a replacement.

DANG! Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know all you folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    Welcome to the forum! That's quite the first ride bonding experience. Glad you stayed safe.

These V-twins have a way of shaking all sorts of fasteners off. On my own first ride on my '09 XB9SX the chin spoiler totally fell off on the highway. Thankfully the dealership was good enough to pay for a replacement.
    My first ride on my XB12SCG rattled a bolt out of the chin spoiler too! The PO had returned a bunch of parts from carbon back to stock for me so I could negotiate the price down, and I found out the hard way he didn't have the correct, or all, the fasteners in. Was pretty annoyed since it ended up melting some of the chin center. Loctite is our friend.