Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a new owner, but new modifier, need help.

Not a new owner, but new modifier, need help.

Hey all, had my 2009 XB12r since 2015, after purchasing it from an auction for 4k with a clean title, 5k miles and zero issues. Love this thing and i will keep it until i destroy the engine, then i will rebuild and destroy it again. Haha

Anyway, it has been completely stock since i bought it, except i put LED's and tires. Other than that i love the Natty XB. I owned 4 other bikes since 2015 as i have always liked having 2 bikes, to keep miles down and have something for friends. Now i know i will be getting another buell for those rides, not only for the amazing ride, but the comfort. Probably a lightening or 1190 SX...but who knows.

Ok...i digress. I am currently getting my muffler modified by Hawk and he should receive it this weekend and ill have it back in a week or so. Since its out if commission i decided to do some other stuff. Below is a list i made to be done before i get my exhaust back.

1) K&N Air Filter - done
    2) Breather Re-route - still not totally sold on this
    3) RSS - cant find it anywhere!
    4) rear header heat shield - not sure
    5) new NGK plugs
    6) Suspension Adjustment
    7) fuel and oil treatment
    8) clean up bolts and other metals including replacing and ordering extras.

I run Mobile 1 20w50 in swing and prime and wont change that, as im happy, so no need to start and oil debate. Haha

Does anyone know where to find that damn RSS? Is it the Uly RSS? Are there any other model options? I habe spent 2 weeks looking for one and I am hesistant to order one from overseas. Nothing at St. Paul, New Castle, Buellster. This is driving me nuts. I NEED that scoop. Haha....but seriously...please help.

I dont see the need for airbox delete as the current one seemed to be opened up a ton in comparison to the previous models. Thoughts?

All i can think about for now. Ill take all recommendations, except for oil. Haha

Thanks all!

Oil doesn't need additives and the breather re route is one of the best thinks you can do for the bike. Airbox delete no necessary on an 09' IMO if yours is like mine.

100% ^^^^

Your '09 airbox is pretty open already. It won't flow any more if you take it off, but the intake will get louder. If thats your jam, go for it. Whats your plan after the Hawk? Will he give you the right tune for it?

You can get your (#3) RSS or get the Uly "comfort kit" that comes with the (#4) heat shield as well.

What "additives"? Why? You should have fresh oil and fuel in it already and ride it often enough there's no need for malarky.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    100% ^^^^

Your '09 airbox is pretty open already. It won't flow any more if you take it off, but the intake will get louder. If thats your jam, go for it.

- Not at all. Figured i didnt need to as the factory cuts seemed to be effecient, compared to the older models

Whats your plan after the Hawk? Will he give you the right tune for it?

- he said that no tuning would be needed. As there is enough backpressure with his set, that the system will teach itself to ustilize it, even with the new filter. Ill try it and see how it goes. Ecmspy in the future for sure.

You can get your (#3) RSS or get the Uly "comfort kit" that comes with the (#4) heat shield as well.

- i cant find the RSS for my model, but saw the uly kit appears tk fit, i just dont know, as i havent seen anyone say that specifically. So i ordered the Uly set up. And figured i would give it a go.

What "additives"? Why? You should have fresh oil and fuel in it already and ride it often enough there's no need for malarky.
    Additives are going in because hawk mentioned that adding to the oil swing, not primary, would noticeably smooth the bike out. Figured it wouldnt hurt anything to try it out. Thoughts?

Im still pretty new to this whole forum this, as i really posted for mechanical help before. Not a wrench guy, as i sit behind a desk all day. But i love the tinkering so far.

Sounds like the reroute will be getting done also.

Oil additives are already in the oil.

Right side scoop can be ordered here: https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...5a9d2b20&_ss=r

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    Oil additives are already in the oil.
    ok..guess I can scratch that then. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MC Hammered View Post
    Right side scoop can be ordered here: https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...5a9d2b20&_ss=r
    Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the comfort kit, because this one didn't populate when I was looking for it. Not sure how I feel about the heat shield, but with the summer right around the corner figure it couldn't hurt. I'll see how it looks.

***update***
    Hawk completed my exhaust Mod and is on its way back to me - Will install upon receipt (beyond excited to receive it)

1) K&N Air Filter - DONE
    2) Breather Re-route - still not totally sold on this - DONE and did it with a little Red Edlebrock filter in red. matches the color scheme.
    3) RSS - cant find it anywhere! - Ordered
    4) rear header heat shield - Ordered - I think I want to send it back and wrap my headers instead.
    5) new NGK plugs - sitting on the counter for install
    6) Suspension Adjustment - Never done before, need to do more research.
    7) fuel and oil treatment - Canned
    8) clean up bolts and other metals including replacing and ordering extras. - Ordered
    9) Buelltooth - Ordered
    10) Quickshifter - Ordered
    11) Lower front Pegs - Ordered
    12) Short levers - cant make up my mind
    13) Corbin Seat - pricey, but comfortable, had one on my last Duc.
    14) Swap Rear for Lightning - If I can ever Find one. Found one on eBay, but cant pull the trigger on $500 bucks. Guess I'll have a few beers first, for the excuse.
    15) Swap Cherry Bomb wheels for Diamond or Hero Wheels for Black/Blue scheme
    16) Ive seen some pretty cool modded/aftermarket airbox covers out there, so will consider that in the future.

I would love any thoughts on this stuff....i.e. header wraps, suspension, levers, tail swap, etc.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by kdawg302000; 05-29-2020 at 11:46 PM. Reason: color

Suspensions easy. The manual gives you a good starting point. First thing is set sag for your weight with gear on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast