Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a new owner, but new modifier, need help.

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    Suspensions easy. The manual gives you a good starting point. First thing is set sag for your weight with gear on.
    Oh, thats awesome. I didn't even think to do that. Just looked it up, now to research what it all means. haha

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg302000 View Post
    Oh, thats awesome. I didn't even think to do that. Just looked it up, now to research what it all means. haha

Thank you!
    Watch the Dave Moss videos about setting up sag. The idea is the same for all bikes. Yes, have a friend help you.

FYI...Cooter is not a friend. He will drink all your beer and throw small random motorcycle parts on the ground, so you will think they are from your bike. He is a jerk.

Thats all totally true^^^^

But as I'm getting wasted on all your beer, I can set up suspension too

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Watch the Dave Moss videos about setting up sag. The idea is the same for all bikes. Yes, have a friend help you.

FYI...Cooter is not a friend. He will drink all your beer and throw small random motorcycle parts on the ground, so you will think they are from your bike. He is a jerk.
    I was actually going to go see him in July @ Laguna Seca. Was going to go out there in the beginning of May, but bailed because of of our SIP ordinance. I have watched a bunch of his videos and could probably do it myself, but I have a goal of getting a better understanding of the suspension. And its actually pretty cheapish to get an appt with him. I mean, not sure how many Cooter can throw back....so it could be a wash.

Its much easier to set rear sag with someone helping. To measure the front sag, I put a zip tie around a front slider. Endo will recognize this from the mountain bike world.

I've found the setup chart in the Buell service book to be pretty close to spot on. It will get you a good baseline.

I mean, not sure how many Cooter can throw back....so it could be a wash.
    I like expensive hipster IPA's so... you're smart guy When are you going to Laguna? Bubbles and I are trying to go this year.

34:19, The zip tie trick is brilliant I keep a set of red ones to check sag and max suspension travel. after a session, because red=faster They are the really nice kind with the metal tang. I thought I was doing myself a favor by cranking them on really hard, but destroyed a dust seal and found it would actually hold the fork leg extended by 1/8" or more! The moral is put them on just tight enough to not fall down.

I was actually going to go see him in July @ Laguna Seca. Was going to go out there in the beginning of May, but bailed because of of our SIP ordinance. I have watched a bunch of his videos and could probably do it myself, but I have a goal of getting a better understanding of the suspension. And its actually pretty cheapish to get an appt with him. I mean, not sure how many Cooter can throw back....so it could be a wash.
    I would definitely change the fork oil out before you see him, love watching his videos... but it seems like if you have more than 5k miles on the oil he talks to you like you clubbed some endangered mammal to death in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by MC Hammered View Post
    Right side scoop can be ordered here: https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...5a9d2b20&_ss=r
    lol OP says ST paul doesn't have it, you literally pop a link to it on their website.

I can also confirm I ordered this exact kit for my xb12r and it bolts right up perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by young scooter View Post
    lol OP says ST paul doesn't have it, you literally pop a link to it on their website.

I can also confirm I ordered this exact kit for my xb12r and it bolts right up perfect.
    I was looking for over a week for the damn scoop and for some reason it wasn't populating on St. Paul. Ever since i hit that link, I can find it no problem. F***, I don't know. Either way, its on its way in the form of the uly comfort kit, which I ordered before the link, Oh, well. Moving on. I'll probably send it back, since I want to wrap my headers but we shall see.

***UPDATE***
    So, with everything going on in the country it took almost a month to get my exhaust shipped to Hawk and Shipped back. I got her though, but unfortunately I took the kids camping and it was delivered while I was out. But needless to say Gwenevere (my son named her after a Disney movie), is up and running and Good lord she is a F***ing beast compared to what it was before. Bike was completely stock since I bought it from 1st owner/repo in 2015. Below is a list of what I did over the past month to get her ready, they will be trivial to majority of you, but I love it. I'm far from a mechanic and I'm learning on the fly, but its been fun and I can't wait to do more (mainly cosmetic, unless you guys turn me on to more stuff I don't know about)! I have a little list of the things I will piece together over the remainder of the year, unless I manage to get a deal, or a good midyear bonus.

Completed:
    Hawk Muffler Mod - Love the sound, neighbors have given me compliments....or backhanded compliments...all the same, to me.
    K&N Air Filter
    Breather Re-route
    RSS W/ Heatshield
    EBC Front and Rear Pads
    Buelltooth W/Hawk Map - Good Lord this was a game changer as I have played with it a ton over the past few days
    NGK Spark Plugs
    Buell 1" drop pegs - So much more comfortable
    Mobil1 Oil and K&N filter
    Brake fluid flush
    New screws and washers - not all, but replaced about 10 in the places that were in need

Future:
    Buelltooth Baro Sensor - Since I'm running Closed Loop, would be good to have it when I'm riding the hills around me. 36ft to 3800ft
    Levers - I'm thinking Pazzo, but I also like the look of the ASV.
    Passenger Cowl
    Tail swap from R to S - If I can ever find one. I know I can buy them new on St. Paul, but thats a little too rich for my blood.
    New seat after my commitment/decision on the tail
    Remove stickers/emblems - make the bike all black-ish
    Smoke or Dark Smoke Wind Screen
    Swap Cherry Bomb Wheels for Hero Blue (maybe gold, that looks dope too- that will probably happen sooner than later, just waiting for
    Wrap - still undecided as I kinda like the metal look with the heat shield
    Quickshift - Undecided on this one also. Seems cool, but I'm not living in the 6-7k range, so not sure I "Need" it, might get it just to say I have it.
    XB12S - I will get another on in the next year or two, especially if the price is right. Maybe for Christmas(Shhhhhhhh...don't tell the wife, its gonna be a surprise)

Thats all for now. This was a lot of fun to me and I have the forum to thank for almost everything I did.

Last edited by kdawg302000; 06-19-2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: left off a statment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast