Thread: Fuel Pump Sound Check

Fuel Pump Sound Check

Just wondering if someone who knows more about fuel pump issues could confirm whether or not this sounds weak when I turn the bike on. It starts slightly higher pitch then drops, but I've seen some startup videos where they seem to sound stronger. Also, I know John has a great kit, but was wondering how these do for a cheaper/non-OEM option. I may replace it as a preventative measure and save the original as a backup.

https://www.amazon.com/HFP-361BU-Buell-Motorbike-Intank-Strainer/dp/B00T5MKFL8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=buell+xb12s+fuel+pump &qid=1590343878&sr=8-3

https://youtu.be/pjoZxPwc1X4

I don't know that brand, it looks pretty but I'd assume china? Can't hear the vid either. IMO, if you're that bored, go ride it

I'm all for good maintenance, but that seems extreme, IMO. You can get the (OE MFG) Walbro pumps easily as it is a fairly universal (49psi) spec'ed part. I wouldn't worry about that supply drying up and I'd trust the OE MFG for the longevity you're looking for.

If you just have to take it apart, it isn't a bad idea to change the sock, tube, and filter. You can get a section of FI fuel line, a sock, and metal filter at any parts store for maybe $15.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-24-2020 at 07:12 PM.

I've been running this season with that fuel pump kit from Amazon. Haven't had any problems yet with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I don't know that brand, it looks pretty but I'd assume china? Can't hear the vid either. IMO, if you're that bored, go ride it

I'm all for good maintenance, but that seems extreme, IMO. You can get the (OE MFG) Walbro pumps easily as it is a fairly universal (49psi) spec'ed part. I wouldn't worry about that supply drying up and I'd trust the OE MFG for the longevity you're looking for.

If you just have to take it apart, it isn't a bad idea to change the sock, tube, and filter. You can get a section of FI fuel line, a sock, and metal filter at any parts store for maybe $15.
    Thanks for the advice, Cooter. Yeah you gotta turn the volume up quite a bit. I was actually just pulling it out of the sun and back into the carport for the day and thought I'd try to get a quick video of it. Don't worry, I'll be taking her out this evening when the sun dies down (I'm in Phoenix). I'm going to take care of the rocker gaskets and intake seals when it gets too hot out here anyways, and was just trying to think of anything else I should take a look at while I'm working on it.
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 05-24-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Just wondering if someone who knows more about fuel pump issues could confirm whether or not this sounds weak when I turn the bike on. It starts slightly higher pitch then drops, but I've seen some startup videos where they seem to sound stronger. Also, I know John has a great kit, but was wondering how these do for a cheaper/non-OEM option. I may replace it as a preventative measure and save the original as a backup.

https://www.amazon.com/HFP-361BU-Buell-Motorbike-Intank-Strainer/dp/B00T5MKFL8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=buell+xb12s+fuel+pump &qid=1590343878&sr=8-3

https://youtu.be/pjoZxPwc1X4
    the link leads you to QUANTAM CORP from CA. They are CHRYSLER V-6 minivan pump parts posing as buell parts. Generic at best and won't get the job done. Contact me for correct full kit with factory oem parts.

Your youtube link? NOTHING WRONG with your pump.

When will it need serviced or replaced?

When it starts to randomly pop its 10 amp fuse from either failing motor or shorted positive feed wire
    excessive crank-to-start time after sitting overnite or longer.
    when a hissing sound can be heard inside tank with fuel cap removed and motor running
    when application of throttle brings with it lazy acceleration, hesitation, back-firing thru throttle body
    when afv value constantly climbs above factory programmed specs
    when turning both key and kill switch to ON results in continuous pump priming
    when pump motor makes abnormal sounds such as a loud growl or high-pitched squeal when priming system prior to startup