Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damaged ECM?

Quote Originally Posted by 331GT View Post
    I have done more research, and contacted the guys at IDS. As it turns out, apparently the fuel pump on the 2010 models is PWM controlled, and has a flyback diode which acts to reduce the inductive kick that occurs during the PWM process, reducing voltage and heat dissipation in the ECM output. Of course, swapping polarity would destroy the flyback diode.

The solution (I have yet to try it) is to install a new flyback diode between the pump (+) and (-). I will try it tonight and let everyone know, in case this happens to someone else in the future.

Have you considered using a FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER???

Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-28-2020 at 09:56 PM.

I never want to see your internet history.

Haha

Just circling back on this one for anyone who is curious, or may have this issue in the future.

I soldered in a 1N5408 diode across the (+) and (-) fuel pump wires in the harness, with the cathode connected to the (+), and the anode connected to the (-) (flyback diode). This solved the problem, and the bike runs like a top.

https://youtu.be/u3Q3AsGc0J4

Good to know, thanks for posting the solution!

Were 2010 the only ones with PWM for the fuel pump? I wonder why that was added, and why? It doesn't seem to be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 331GT View Post
    Just circling back on this one for anyone who is curious, or may have this issue in the future.

I soldered in a 1N5408 diode across the (+) and (-) fuel pump wires in the harness, with the cathode connected to the (+), and the anode connected to the (-) (flyback diode). This solved the problem, and the bike runs like a top.

https://youtu.be/u3Q3AsGc0J4
    Is that what the little black diode in the XB's fuse box is for?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12