Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which year Uly do I want?

Which year Uly do I want?

I sold my S3T back in 2012 or 2013. I always wanted a Uly, but never picked one up. Now that the kids are a bit older my wife is encouraging me to pick up another bike. I'd like to finally get the Uly I always wanted.

When they were new, I remember several changes in the (I think) 08 model year, which made me want an '08 or newer. I was speaking with a friend of mine about this (he was a Buell / Harley tech), and he suggested that the pre-08 may be a better way to go at this point. While the 08+ are technically superior, he stated the pre-08 bikes have much more in common with the other early XB's. He stated I'll have a much larger used-parts pool available, to keep the early Ulys on the road, vs the 08+.

I'm curious what input you guys may have on this.

With some rare exceptions, parts are very easy to come by for all of the bikes. Although all Buells have proven to be super reliable, IMO a Thunderstorm bike ('08-up) is worth looking for for all the upgrades to the crank and oiling system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BcMKN-2Nk&t=13s

Ha! I watched that vid just last night, while in the shower! That video was made during some exciting times for the company. Sad to know how it turned out.

2006 Buell Uly For sale

I have a 2006 for sale. It's a bike that I absolutely love but I am unable to find someone who will repair the broken throttle body shaft for me. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1162968711761/

Some people speak about the engine post 2008 have some problem caused from euro 3 engine and all smog stuff,I'm not still buell owner so i'm taking many info as possible about it.

I am not aware of any Euro 3 differences, except a charcoal can (like Cali here in the states) and a tune? Both easily manipulated or replaced. Hopefully someone in Europe could chime in?

You could ask the same question on Badweatherbikers.com There are some very knowledgable people on there that helped build the actual bikes.

I’m also looking and close to making a deal on a very nice 2009. I’ve been told the 09-10 models cleaned up most of the earlier model year niggles. Hope you find a good one no matter the year.

I'm no technician, but I've been riding a 2005 Thunderstorm Uly from new like there's no tomorrow - no issues.
    Got a beefier battery for start-up stalls.

You put a Thunderstorm engine in an '05?

First, there was no 05 model year Uly 06 was the first year. The 06 Uly came with a Thunderstorm 1203.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast