Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GREAT Suspension Tuning Resource

I'm curious what weight fork oil you guys are using? I know there's a variance, and I've got an idea of what I want to do but are you guys using the "factory" spec oil/weight (40w - Type E)? I'm a fan of Bel-Ray and Motul as I've used them in the past and really liked the outcome.
    Last edited by kz6fittycent; 06-02-2020 at 02:18 AM.

I found this in a HD forum about the weights: https://www.v-twinforum.com/threads/...ork-oil.48896/

That 40w was something I got from Spectro (never used) that was rated as "Type E".

I gather that from what Dave Moss' videos that heavier guys (like me) need heavier fork oil to help with damping. So, maybe 15w or 20w might be good.

I like the way my forks are tuned at present, so I'm erring with the 15w just because I don't want to make a radical change to the way my forks are working but this is my first Buell and I'm hoping you guys have some input.

TIA.

Oh...and then Dave says this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXRxxmvBHCQ

LOL.

I didn't click the link, but I only go 5w up or down max with each fork oil change. Temperature matters a lot. You'll know when you need heavier to lighter oil if any of your adjustments are maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I didn't click the link, but I only go 5w up or down max with each fork oil change. Temperature matters a lot. You'll know when you need heavier to lighter oil if any of your adjustments are maxed out.
    Word!

Since I try to be Mr. Racey Race Pants, I get into the forks a lot. I'm not rich enough for an upgrade so I'll keep the stock BPF's on there.
    Once you pull off the front wheel it's only a couple bolts to slide them out for a quick fluid swap. I'm using 15w in the EBR for the first time ever as I'm a bigger guy and track temps will be in the high 90's-100's for the rest of the summer
    Every time you change viscosity it will take some fiddling to get it back to what you like, but honestly I do use the Buell OE settings as a consistent starting point, no matter the oil weight change. It is AMAZING how different they are from cold in the morning to the end of the first session. You end up looking for the right settings and still chasing them all day.

Suspension and tuning are considered as a 'black art' because theres no perfect answer, it really does boil down to personal taste and comfort. Dave Moss' genius is that he is a teacher at heart. He is dealing with cocky, aggressive, males, with the same basic set-up mistakes 100's of times. Without getting frustrated he can break down the simplest subject without sounding condescending, in a calm, step-by-step way. A real hero

Follow what he suggests, in the order he says, and you can get real close, real quick

I finally got a chance to ride the SS this morning to work, what a difference that one notch softer made, I would even go another notch softer if I could but this is now on the softest setting. What is interesting is that according to the owners manual my weight class should be on the second level from the softest setting. Maybe the 14 year old spring just hasn't had enough time to break in yet. I bought it with 617 original miles on it and now it has over 2 thousand miles.
    Now I have to check the front forks and maybe soften them up a little too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123