Thread: Buell X1 buy

Buell X1 buy

Hello all.

Thanks for letting me join your forum.

I am probably going to buy a Buell X1 -1999 this weekend. This bike has one owner since new, only 11.000 miles since new and is stock except from the exhaust. Price is 4200$.

Is this a fair price for this bike? Anything special to look for except the ordinary things when buying a X1?

How is the X1 compared to the XB? I like the seating position better on the X1, that is why choose this model. Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
    Fredrik, Sweden
    Last edited by Fredrikrosen; 05-29-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Welcome to the Forum! I think they are great bikes. My only Tuber experience was on a M-2 Cyclone and I loved every minute of it

This article just came out:
    https://ridermagazine.com/2020/05/05...-x1-lightning/

You can find TONS of tuber info on Badweatherbikers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Welcome to the Forum! I think they are great bikes. My only Tuber experience was on a M-2 Cyclone and I loved every minute of it

This article just came out:
    https://ridermagazine.com/2020/05/05...-x1-lightning/

You can find TONS of tuber info on Badweatherbikers.com
    Thanks for the link.

You're welcome. Have fun with your new ride

The XB series of bikes is much more refined and better built than the tube frame models. At least on an XB it doesn’t seem like all the ancillary parts are afterthoughts that need a special bracket, sleeve, bushing or spacer.

I own a 1997 S1 now, but have owned a variety of XB’s over the years.

I have considered getting a BMW R9T but Cooter says BMW motorcycles are poorly built. He once told me the cheapest part of a BMW motorcycle is the owner. Cooter also says the same about XR1200 owners but that’s a story for another thread.

Shut up Aaron! It sounds like you spent all last night in the garage fighting something on the S-1, LOL.

You're right that XB's used the experience and engineering lessons of the Tubers to be a bit 'better', as well as just being newer... but I think if your the type of person who can deal with an old bike, there character is worth it.
    And to set the record straight, I LIKE BMW's!! I pick on them because they are an easy target as an example the direction of all motorcycles going full nanny electronics is missing the whole POINT of being 'free to ride my motorcycle, man'. I have a real desire for them sexy XR1200's, I guarantee I'll have one when I'm cool enough

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Shut up Aaron! It sounds like you spent all last night in the garage fighting something on the S-1, LOL.

You're right that XB's used the experience and engineering lessons of the Tubers to be a bit 'better', as well as just being newer... but I think if your the type of person who can deal with an old bike, there character is worth it.
    And to set the record straight, I LIKE BMW's!! I pick on them because they are an easy target as an example the direction of all motorcycles going full nanny electronics is missing the whole POINT of being 'free to ride my motorcycle, man'. I have a real desire for them sexy XR1200's, I guarantee I'll have one when I'm cool enough
    I did fight one of the forks when I was trying to get the spring back on the damper cartridge. I didnt have the proper tool, nor could I figure out how to build the tool, so I just had to hold the spring down by hand while installing the preload shims and keepers with the other. The other side went together a bit easier.

XB's are more than a bit "better", but I am really enjoying this S1. It really drove the point home when I had both the XB and the tuber side by side. It gave me a greater appreciation for the XB even with all of it "quirks and features", as Doug DeMuro would say.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-15-2020 at 04:53 PM.