Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear wheel wobbling side to side!!!

The day it failed? Picture perfect weather. 75 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. Tar snakes? I'm not sure why this would affect anything. But I don't think so.

One thing I have learned about bearings that Harley has is that they are Chinese crap. That's what the service tech told me when he had to replace all the bearings in a brand new v rod with 400 miles on it. sometimes new things are bad right out of the box.

Thats a scary thought, only getting 6k out of a set of bearings

It sure sounds like a bad bearing though. You can look and see form outside the bike, take a pic? Because otherwise it's swing arm bushings or something.

If you didn't use a torque wrench and done it up tight enough to crush the sleeve you were bound to have issues. With new bearing installation your suppose torque 50 ft lbs, back off and re torque to 40.

You are totally right about over-torquing the sleeve. Good point outthere Even doing that one time and squishing the sleeve, will side load the new ball bearings even (at the proper torque) and they'll die in short order until you replace that sleeve.

Its actually 25ft/lbs, back off two turns, and torque to 50ft/lbs for the rear... and 20, jounce, 40 for the front (page 2-21)
    http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...olt_manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    If you didn't use a torque wrench and done it up tight enough to crush the sleeve
    Yes ^^^^^^^^

The sleeve is aluminum and relatively inexpensive. I usually replace them when replacing bearings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12