Thread: Airbox cover hardware source

Airbox cover hardware source

Anyone know of a source for the hardware to mount the airbox covers? St. Paul and New Castle both have these in stock but the price with shipping seems steep to me. Four bolts, spacers, and washers ad up to around $40 at either place. I realize it's "only" $40 to get it shipped straight to my house, hassle free without any type of research or driving around to pick up parts. Hey, what can I tell ya. I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to finding things as cheap as I possibly can. I mean, c'mon...it should only be about $5 worth of parts. They are $17 a set plus shipping from St.Paul. This is for a set of two. I need four. I'm going to try Fastenal on Monday but I thought I'd check here because I'd guess someone else has already researched this.

airbox hardware buell.jpg
    Last edited by lancruza; 05-30-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Hey Cruza. You could manage to get something that works, like similar pan head bolts (T25, not T27, or 'security' Torx) and even the sleeves but you'll waste a day looking. I hate to say.... I'd just get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Hey Cruza. You could manage to get something that works, like similar pan head bolts (T25, not T27, or 'security' Torx) and even the sleeves but you'll waste a day looking. I hate to say.... I'd just get them.
    Yeah...I know you're right. It just pisses me off that they are getting $40 for maybe $5 worth of stuff.

100% agree

If they do a bulk deal for 100 I'll go in with ya

Didnt LF and someone else find something comparable on ebay? It wasnt the kit for the translucent cover, but it was the bolts.

Maybe this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Torx-Butt...sAAOSwknJX1Bf1
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-31-2020 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Didnt LF and someone else find something comparable on ebay? It wasnt the kit for the translucent cover, but it was the bolts.

Maybe this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Torx-Butt...sAAOSwknJX1Bf1
    Hmmmm...not sure. These look like the bolts that hold on the chin spoiler and windscreen. These could come in handy also. The airbox bolts use a sleeve. Thanks for the link.

The non.trans air box ,no sleeves used . Same as chin spoilers and front fenders. I think ??

I've been finding a treasure trove of hardware at Ace. Stainless steel, etc. Maybe try them (if you're still wanting to punish yourself).

Ya 34:19, We have had several threads looking for replacement hardware. LF had originally argued those bolts on ebay were T25, zinc, and therefore wholly unacceptable. lol. I wouldn't put them on an airbox cover, but you could hide them in lots of places and then use that OE hardware in a more visible spot instead.

Hey Crusa! Just thought about it. I bet if you hit up Pur Pony, or a couple other guys who part them out, They would be happy to sell a stash of OE hardware? They build bikes at Buelltooth.com too, maybe ask them?

Ya KZ, Ace is a great place for specialty hardware like that, a lifesaver sometimes! You could manage to get something that works, like similar pan head bolts (T25, not T27, or 'security' Torx) and even the sleeves but you'll waste a day looking. Sometimes worth it, sometimes not. YMMV.

IMO, I think it would be ok to not use the sleeves for translucent bodywork, but get a bolt with a shoulder as long as the OE sleeve. It's on there so you can properly torque the fastener without squeezing and cracking the brittle translucent plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    The non.trans air box ,no sleeves used . Same as chin spoilers and front fenders. I think ??
    You are correct, sir.