Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Paul

St. Paul

I put in an order with this dealer minus a complete gasket set. They wanted a copy of the registration. Is this the new normal these days? BTW, I ordered this elsewhere. Figured if I was going to do a rotate the change out headers I may as well replace rocker box gaskets. Is there anything else I should look at while I'm up there? Thanks

Your reg? Did you order a key code or something?

If you are going to rotate, thats a good idea to do the rockers, I'd do PCV fittings and grommets too (may come with the gasket kit?).

But if you are just changing headers there is no need for an engine rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    I put in an order with this dealer minus a complete gasket set. They wanted a copy of the registration. Is this the new normal these days? BTW, I ordered this elsewhere. Figured if I was going to do a rotate the change out headers I may as well replace rocker box gaskets. Is there anything else I should look at while I'm up there? Thanks

They probably wanted to get your VIN to verify the year of the bike to make sure they were sending out the correct gaskets. I used to work the parts counter at a GM dealer a looong time ago, and it was not uncommon to find someone had no clue as to what they were driving/working on. We had a lookup system that utilized the VIN to decode the options your vehicle came with. Every now and again, I would have someone literally make up a VIN on the spot. Either way, having that info was very helpful for picking out the correct options. Returning parts to a dealership is a huge PITA internally for the dealer/counterpeople so they are probably trying to make sure they have the best shot at getting it right the first time.

When I bought my rear shock from Twin in the Netherlands for my S1, they had me take a pic of my shock and the measurements between the eyelets to make sure we were both on the same page for the correct shock. I'm sure they had people who ordered the incorrect one and once it arrived 6 weeks later tried to blame them for the mistake.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-31-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Just a gasket kit and website said registration needed. I ordered elsewhere, free shipping also. I'll try and switch out exhaust with no rotate.

I'd replace the o2 sensor since your in there. $25 at your auto parts store.

Mines got a wideband O2 sensor. I'll check the auto store

Just a gasket kit and website said registration needed. I ordered elsewhere, free shipping also. I'll try and switch out exhaust with no rotate.
    Ah, I found the notice on their website. My guess is that they shipped something out of the country and weren't supposed to, and someone talked.

Attention customers outside the US:

Before we can ship this out we will require proof of ownership of the Buell you are installing this on. Without this proof (copy of the title with VIN, picture of motorcycle, and VIN stamped on the neck of the bike) HD will not let us send this item out. This regardless if the order being sent to a US address first or not. Please email proof to sphdonline@stpaulhd.com.

I wonder what is so special about that part, as the other ones dont seem to have that restriction.

I'll try and switch out exhaust with no rotate.

Do a search on here. I think it is in the DIY section, where it seems like someone documented removing the headers without a rotate.

found it thanks. I've had the bike down that far before replacing the O2 sensor. I'll get it done & thanks.

Man, Harley hates Buell.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast