Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine heat

Quote Originally Posted by Pushr0d View Post
    One data point for you - I just changed out my fan. The old one appeared to be the original. 2008 model XB12XT (fan also had a 2008 date code), 65,000 miles.
    Are you running the new fan logic? With the old logic my fan normally only runs for a short period after shut down. On a hot day it would sometimes run when riding, but only when running “hard”. Since I have two ecm’s now, I’m thinking I’ll run the new logic in the summer and old in the winter since the heat then is more welcome.

Have previously replaced the ECM due to being cracked at the connectors, fat guy on the seat so I did the ecm lowering mod, with new fan logic. Also installed the entire Comfort kit. PIA to install the cover that goes over the rear shock. I do notice that the ecm stays cooler, fan runs less, little less dirt under the seat, and a little bit cooler to ride. Every little bit adds up and helps.

Curious, what is the "new" fan logic? I've got ECMDroid and a Buelltooth so I'm sure I could easily program my '06 (has comfort kit) to this logic...if I knew what it was!

Also, having the fan run -above- 15mph seems counter productive to me. It seems you'd want it at low speed to pull air past that rear cylinder. Once moving it seems the scoops (comfort kit) would have more flow than the fan, negating the need for the fan. Then again, I haven't dug around in there to see what the flow path is.

I believe they are referring to the "speed-based fan control" that you currently have on. Factory fan temp settings are fine, it takes quite a bit to get one of these to enter heat related safety shut downs. Those are also able to be manipulated through ECMDroid, but I wouldn't.

I totally agree with your assessment of the SBFC, and I personally turn it off to save a ton of fan wear, leg heat, noise, and electrical stress on the VR and stator. The heat exits from under the seat, mostly on your right thigh. Most riders assume it's the head pipe causing it, and they are right... to a point. You can find even more relief getting your thigh away from the fan exhaust with a seat height or peg change, depending on your inseam.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123