Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kick stand question

kick stand question

On my xb12xt the kickstand has a lot of play. It just doesn't feel lick it's going too stay in place when it's down.
    like it eaasily folds and there goes the bike. I want to take it off fix and replace all at one time, so is the bolt worn? is there a bushing in there that is worn or do I just need to replace the whole stand?

All X-XT series as follows: No bolt....no bushing...no interlock safety switch...no known recall or TSB for side stand assembly.
    Recall #'s B-047...B-048...B-052...B-060 all addressed sidestand issues prior to 2006 and NONE for X or XT models.

Check: Sidestand-to-engine case attachment bracket is tight and secure...sidestand pivot pin heavily worn beyond service limits (rare)...sidestand pivot pin attachment clip missing...actual sidestand legs(the yoke on the engine end of the sidestand that pin slips thru) worn beyond service limits or severely bent.

As with all XB's, prolonged engine idling on the sidestand dramatically shortens the life of the sidestand components .

My kickstand fell off right after I bought my 2008 Ulysses last summer. I was lucky that I did not lose my spring or piece of curved flat metal the spring attaches too.
    I was far from home. Stopped at a Hardware store. bought a 5/8" bolt and nylock nut .. and some flat washers..
    Bolted it all together.. When I got home, took it apart and applied grease to the bolt.. The Nylock nut almost touches the muffler .. So I drilled a hole through the nut and bolt and used some safety wire.
    I have since seen the replacement parts for sale on St Paul HD's web site.

Theres 2 bolts that bolt it to the engine, so make sure they're tight, and check the pivot for too much slop. They are normally a little sloppy, they're just that way (H-D DNA, LOL). You can buy a new pin if you need one.

If the kickstand bolts are indeed loose, don't just crank them back on, they'll probably loosen again. I'd recommend removing them, cleaning the threads, apply Loc-tite. They are hardened bolts going into the aluminum case so tighten to spec, not all the crushing twisting force you can muster

Man, I hate the sidestand on these bikes. "We CaLL iT a JiFfY StAnD, BeCaUsE iT's So sWeLL!"

My bike fell when the sidestand bolts came loose, bent, and eventually broke from holding the bike up.

At the very least, you should inspect the sidestand bolts every year (start/end-of-season inspection). If you've got the time to do it, I'd advise buying new bolts from SPHD, drilling them for safety wire, and then safety-wiring the bolts in place. That's what I did. (That way if - for some God-forsaken reason - your sidestand decides to break the bolts off again, you're not fighting the remnant of the bolt and Loctite. Good wintertime project. You can take the opportunity to paint your exhaust, too!

Attached pictures show the wreckage on my bike, as well as the final solution.

IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg

I had to "fix" the side stand on my 2006 XB12X several times. My issue was not the pivot point, but the two bolts holding the stand onto the engine case. It was a HUGE pain to remove the muffler each and every time I needed to tighten those bolts.

With the help of the gents on this board, I purchased a a heli-coil type kit and installed them, along with new bolts to get a better fit.

Yup. I have an 07 and had this problem (the actual bolts loosening up) over and over til I did what Cooter said to do - fully remove, clean, and absolutely LOCTITE THEM! Hasn't happened again in almost 3 years. Loctite FTW!!

HD hasn't learned that lesson well enough yet... Pan Ams have a TSB where they're upping the torque on the kickstand bracket bolts AND telling dealers to add blue loctite, prior instructions and how the came from the factory was bite the pillow dry.

Quote Originally Posted by c3powil View Post

With the help of the gents on this board, I purchased a a heli-coil type kit and installed them, along with new bolts to get a better fit.
    That’s the best way to do it!

I have an 08-09 XB, and the 'U' cracked when I put the kickstand down at a gas station ... on the way to a funeral. I partially dropped my sweet bike, but recovered, filled up, went home, laid it against/on a bucket, and took the Vulcan 2000cc sled. I got the very professionally welded kickstand today, and put everything together, but I must have forgotten something ... it goes down, but does not completely go up, and not fixable with See Alice.

Can someone send a few pictures of what it should look like? It's so nice that it is now smooth, not sloppy, but I'd like to return it to its former glory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast