Thread: XT burning my leg

XT burning my leg

I recently bought an 08 XT and the P.O. put header wrap on the exhaust. I didn't think much of it when he mentioned that he put the header tape because it was burning his leg, Well he was literally burning his leg my 06 SS does not put out even 1/2 the heat with no header wrap just a right side scoop.
    The bike has a race ECM and hawk muffler , I am ordering the comfort kit but there is no way that will solve this. The SS runs a stock ECM and a Magnaflow muffler with a K&N filter. The SS is unruly compared to this XT. The XT is tame feeling I wonder since I got an ECM to USB cable with the bike if the PO leaned it out WAY too much and causing the excess heat coming off and the fan kicks on at almost every stop even the traffic light 1/2 mile from my house.

I don't have any saved maps and I'm in process of downloading ECM spy software.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I have never used this software and I may need a base map to start with.
    Could I use / copy the 06 SS map to the Uly?

IMO, if all you are doing is swapping existing maps, I find ECMDroid to be MUCH easier to use for that and diagnosis. Plus you get the benefit of having a wireless connection. If you want to get into the minutia of all the little options then ECMSpy is the way to go.

You can swap maps as long as the firmware version is the same.

tried downloading ecm spy and my computer shows no serial port when I try to open the program.
    maybe Ill try ECM Droid

*#@$% I dont have any andriod devices

Quote Originally Posted by cvc View Post
    *#@$% I dont have any andriod devices
    I had the same problem... iPads and MacBooks all over the house, but not a single Droid... bought a generic Android tablet off Amazon for $80 to use just for the bike.

No android, so just got a tablet, in order to datalog and quick diag. I use tunerpro. Not sure how it compares as far as options go. Another tool you can use.

I got a big screen android burner phone from my cell provider for FREE when I re-upped. Or they are about $30 in the mall. You don't even need a SIM card or contract, it will work fine with ECMDroid all the time and even run Pandora or as a phone, anytime you are hooked up to Wi-Fi. They are easy to fit it your pocket for datalogging, and I find the phone interface easier to use than the tablets. IMO.

I have found most of the leg-heat issues are caused by the fan running too much, not engine heat. But You'll need to check the running temp (you can with live data on ECMDroid) to determine where the problem lies.

The fan heat exit is under the seat directly at your right leg. Put your hand there when the engine is running, then do it again when the fan is running but do NOT block that hole unless you devise another way to let the hot air out.

Check to see if "Speed based Fan control" is on. Turn it off.
    Check your fan temp settings, some fuel programs had the on/off settings backwards causing the fan to run until failure.
    Some fan settings are just set way way too low. These are not water cooled car engine with a small operating range, these are air cooled and are made to withstand freezing to 270* running temps.

Post up what you find!

my bad I havent followed up on this I did develop s new issue , the bike now "coughs" through the intake when taking off intermittantly similar to a backfire but minor in comparison I am going to buy an a buell tooth and follow up soon I took off the header wrap and it had gotten so hot it melted the fiber glass into a brittle mass and the header is black. I need to check fuel pressure as well. only thing i have done was check AFV its about 100% and no codes so I installed a Race use ecm i had on the shelf and it acted the same.
    Can I add the fuel pressure sensor to an 08? I have considered adding the rear o2 sensor and 2010 programing any hints on this would be great!