Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good roads in North Texas? Do they exist??

Question Good roads in North Texas? Do they exist??

Background:

I'm from TN. I could drive 2 min from my house and I was in some amazing riding right away. The scenery was just as good as the turns I was taking. There was always something interesting. The roads were smooth and (usually) clean from debris to keep from sliding right off a cliff. I would get lost in the ride and a couple of hours would go by before I realized I needed to get home.

I've been living in North Texas now for 3 years. I bought a Buell, because I've always wanted one. There's just one problem; a big one.

The roads here straight up suck.

Some other bikers (cruiser riders) keep telling me about these great rides they take. I listen to them and go check out these areas.

I have to assume that they mean the "scenery" is great. Because the roads are straight (like a freaking arrow), albeit bumpy. Any turns are ~90 degrees to go around a farm property line. That sounds cool, right? No. They are also bumpy and slick, so I end up slowing down like Grandpa to take them. I may as well be on a trike.

I KNOW there has got to be some good riding around here.

So, to all you North Texas riders, point me in the right direction!

TIA.

P.S. I'm willing to bet I have to travel 2-3 hours away to get to some good riding. Also, I'm willing to accept things as they are, but I would like to enjoy my experience since I'm here and I'm not moving again.

Quote Originally Posted by kz6fittycent View Post
    Background:

I'm from TN. I could drive 2 min from my house and I was in some amazing riding right away. The scenery was just as good as the turns I was taking. There was always something interesting. The roads were smooth and (usually) clean from debris to keep from sliding right off a cliff. I would get lost in the ride and a couple of hours would go by before I realized I needed to get home.

I've been living in North Texas now for 3 years. I bought a Buell, because I've always wanted one. There's just one problem; a big one.

The roads here straight up suck.

Some other bikers (cruiser riders) keep telling me about these great rides they take. I listen to them and go check out these areas.

I have to assume that they mean the "scenery" is great. Because the roads are straight (like a freaking arrow), albeit bumpy. Any turns are ~90 degrees to go around a farm property line. That sounds cool, right? No. They are also bumpy and slick, so I end up slowing down like Grandpa to take them. I may as well be on a trike.

I KNOW there has got to be some good riding around here.

So, to all you North Texas riders, point me in the right direction!

TIA.

P.S. I'm willing to bet I have to travel 2-3 hours away to get to some good riding. Also, I'm willing to accept things as they are, but I would like to enjoy my experience since I'm here and I'm not moving again.
    The thing to remember about Texas (that I learned the hard way), is that according to Texans, nothing is better than Texas. When I moved to Houston, I naively believed everything people "in the know" told me. I don't think most of them ever left the city.

I did leave Texas with a new realization of great BBQ, the Buc-ee's experience, and a small addiction to kolaches.... in addition to a greater appreciation of what I had back home.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-02-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    The thing to remember about Texas (that I learned the hard way), is that according to Texans, nothing is better than Texas. When I moved to Houston, I naively believed everything people "in the know" told me. I don't think most of them ever left the city.

I did leave Texas with a new realization of great BBQ, the Buc-ee's experience, and a small addiction to kolaches.... in addition to a greater appreciation of what I had back home.
    Ah Buc-ees! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Texas. I was born here, my mom's family is all here. My cousins are here. I'm never leaving. But, the riding...that's another story.

The part I never got a chance to check out was Palo Duro Canyon. I would imagine there would be some good riding there??

Honestly, my motorcycle never got ridden when I moved to Houston. I think I brought the same gas back to Phoenix with me, that I bought before I left. However, back then my main focus was mountain bikes.

Man, I feel ya about having a great bike in a lame place. My time in Florida left me with chicken strips on the CR so wide I didn't need a kickstand. I hooked up with a riding group that was fun but the motto on their shirts was "Florida: 3000 miles and 6 corners". I don't think it was a joke

I gave up and went to PBIR, had the best time of my life and have been doing as many track days as I can ever since. It is safer than the street, and my riding skill has increased exponentially.

Does Eagles Canyon or Boyd Raceway do track days for motorcycles?

Even if you find a twisty in TX, how long before the cops know about it ( probably do already ) and the parties over. Three hours ride, really, not in TX, more like three days ride. My father's side are from TX, too flat for me but it does have it's own beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Man, I feel ya about having a great bike in a lame place. My time in Florida left me with chicken strips on the CR so wide I didn't need a kickstand. I hooked up with a riding group that was fun but the motto on their shirts was "Florida: 3000 miles and 6 corners". I don't think it was a joke

I gave up and went to PBIR, had the best time of my life and have been doing as many track days as I can ever since. It is safer than the street, and my riding skill has increased exponentially.

Does Eagles Canyon or Boyd Raceway do track days for motorcycles?
    LOL that's the best motto ever!

Yeah track days is an option but this Buell of mine is a project bike. I'm comfortable riding it, even for long distances, but on the track, I dunno. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Even if you find a twisty in TX, how long before the cops know about it ( probably do already ) and the parties over. Three hours ride, really, not in TX, more like three days ride. My father's side are from TX, too flat for me but it does have it's own beauty.
    No doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    The part I never got a chance to check out was Palo Duro Canyon. I would imagine there would be some good riding there??

Honestly, my motorcycle never got ridden when I moved to Houston. I think I brought the same gas back to Phoenix with me, that I bought before I left. However, back then my main focus was mountain bikes.
    6 hour ride...dang.

Quote Originally Posted by kz6fittycent View Post
    6 hour ride...dang.
    Is it that far? Palo Duro is the only thing I could think of in N. Texas that sounded like fun. Beyond that, its practically.... Oklahoma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast