Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batteries

Both Shorais I have have been great, and they are true Buell enthusiasts there

The ones that sat in the EBR's for several years drained to 0 didn't do so well, and even though you can use a normal charger, you should use their specific one to balance the cells. I hate having to have that specific charger, but with 2 bikes it aint so bad...

Most newer tech Li-ion batteries have that cell balancing circuitry internally now, so thats better. Battery tech moves at the rate of electrons! (Sorry for the crappy nerd pun)

I was only looking at Shorai's because that's the name you hear everywhere.Thanks for the heads up.

I remembered that a friend who died a year and a half ago had a Shorai in his '09 Sprint ST.I helped his widow sell it and his gear.I sent her a text asking if she sees a smallish battery charger on his bench,she replied that she did and I'm waiting on a pic to see what it is.If it's smart enough to handle a Li Ion,that may be the tipping point towards buying one.

She found it,it's a BatteryMinder 12248 which appears to be a really fancy charger,maintainer,de-sulphator,but nowhere can I find anything about Lithium Ion charging.It retails for $162,quite a bit more than the Battery Tender Plus and BT Plus Junior I have.Anybody have this charger?

I looked at the info too. It may be that the instructions were possibly written before lithium batteries really came onto the scene. I'd recommend getting in touch with the company to find out what their official 2020 stance is.

I just sent them an email.

I recieved this reply from BatteryMinder this morning:

Good morning Mike,

Our products are for lead acid batteries.

VDC Electronics, Inc.
    155 W. Carver Street, Ste. 2
    Huntington, New York 11743

Oh well, I'll just have to take it off your hands, naturally I'll pay the shipping costs.

I don't have it,my friend's widow has it.I don't know if I could get it from her for half price,which would be in the neighborhood of $80,she's pretty tight with a dollar and knows how to find it on the web,so she might want more.It would be nice to have,I don't have anything the will de-sulaphate a battery,just a couple of Battery Tender Plus's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12