Thread: Blast parts help!!

Blast parts help!!

Hey guys, I'm 62, my kid bought a 03 Blast, nice price and cool bike, I love this thumper! First bike, a lot to learn. I'm a Harley guy, so I liked this choice until now! He smashed his shift lever, bent the shifter shaft assembly. We had to zip the shaft end off just to get the primary cover off. No big deal it looks like except to get the part! HD dealer which I have no faith in anyway since mine are old 1932 Flathead and 1982 Shovel and they don't support parts. Seems they have already abandoned Buell which is no surprise. I need this Shifter Mechanism, plus gaskets. Found the gaskets and it seems they are the same as some model sportster? Can anyone help me on this, Is this 500 thumper lower end the same or nearly the same as any model sportster? I am confused because the primary gasket set seems to also fit a sportster but not sure which one. Any help would be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sir: confirm with P3 expert on here....BUT...the link will open your schematic. open link...scroll to page 349...see part number 10
    should be your shifter shaft mechanism. see section 32 for corresponding part number listing. H-D 34015-91 should be the correct part number. you confirm.

if so still over 48 listed in H-D parts system.

http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...ast_manual.pdf
    Last edited by Barrett; 06-04-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Barrett, thanks a hell of a lot! That looks like the part, I don't know where section 32 was that got the corresponding Harley number but it looks like the part. What I don't understand is how it can be the same as any sportster since they were all V twins? Makes sense tho, maybe they modified the case but the primary and other things were the same. Very confusing but again, I appreciate it and I found that part on ebay so maybe I just try it.
    Art

Ya Art, you are in good hands. Thats the correct part, I just had to get one myself for the same reason It is the same primary parts as a Sporty, the engine case was just made with one less cylinder!
    FYI, I was able to wiggle the shift shaft out without removing the clutch basket, maybe you get lucky too? The adjustment with the .0187 (IIRC) drill bit will be hard to do like that, but that just centers the pawl around the shift drum and could be done by eye if you don't have a crank locking tool.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ya Art, you are in good hands. Thats the correct part, I just had to get one myself for the same reason It is the same primary parts as a Sporty, the engine case was just made with one less cylinder!
    FYI, I was able to wiggle the shift shaft out without removing the clutch basket, maybe you get lucky too? The adjustment with the .0187 (IIRC) drill bit will be hard to do like that, but that just centers the pawl around the shift drum and could be done by eye if you don't have a crank locking tool.

Hope that helps
    Appreciate that in a large way, Looked like the part could be removed without removing the clutch basket but was not sure, my son wanted to rip it out but I told em lets get the part and look at it first. Not sure what you mean by the o187 drill bit deal but I bought the service manual so I'll check it, if we have to rip it all apart so be it but I sure as **** don't want to. Do you know what other parts correspond to sportsters? I didn't find **** till I found you guys and I REALLY appreciate it, if you need any info on flathead HD's let me know! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by 82Rainman View Post
    if you need any info on flathead HD's let me know! Ha!
    I wish, but I'm not nearly that cool, lol.

Ha, thanks. I have a question, or another one...You mention a measurement for setting the shift mech, do they outline such in the manual? I don't have a crank locking tool but am fairly good at rigging stuff if need be...again I appreciate any help, I should have parts in a week or so. Keep the rubber side down!

http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...ast_manual.pdf

Page 6-38. Shift Pawl Adjustment. It's a #32 (0.116") drill bit.
    The crank lock tool is just an appropriately long piece of aluminum bar stock. Being an Ol' HD mechanic, I'm positive you can whip one of those out yourself