Thread: Kickstand

Kickstand

I have a 2003 buell xb9r. I was riding yesterday into the beautiful watkins glen and on my way back my bike kept cutting off, completely lost power. The engine light comes on and I pulled over. Put the kickstand down then back up. Bike started and kept going. Happened about 4 more times coming back on the Expressway, scared the crap out of me. My kickstand is loose, tried to look through the forum to see if there was any other posts. Do I tighten the stand? Is there a switch I can turn off or something? Please help.

I would just remove the kickstand.

or

go into the settings on the cluster. look under "performance" then scroll to "setup". Choose "rider preferences" then "customize". All the way at the bottom you will see "kickstand switch", select disable.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-05-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Sir: might i make a few suggestions to address this problem as follows and keep in mind that the 2003-mid year 2004 XB side stand left a bit to be desired. IMO it's worth it to have a quality stand and companion switch for same. eliminates the chances of bike tipping over...stand falling off while riding and wreaking havoc...peace of mind. as follows:

1-replace your sidestand switch. attempting to clean it and jumper wire the connectors is idiotic. new switch part number is H-D Y0800.02A8 suffix B3. infinite amount still available. list is $31.90

2-service the sidestand and replace the inferior factory attachment hardware.
    L0174.4A8 & N0425.02A8 Sidestand Pivot Pin. N number is for companion C-clip. list is $15. i keep them in stock if needed.
    is a simple and excellent repair.

3-complete replacement sidestand kit with all hardware except engine mounting bracket---Kickstand Leg Service Kit L1167.02A8
    it is expensive but money well spent.

THE 2003 XB MODEL IS THE ONLY YEAR OFFERING FACTORY SIDE STAND SWITCH. SOME DITCH IT BUT IT'S A NICE PIECE TO RETAIN.

NOTE: avoid frugality here and the temptation of a hillbilly-style repair. if the stand dislodges during riding and some have...the typical result is a crashed bike and serious personal injury.

NOTE: while making repairs CLOSELY CHECK the attachment hardware holding the side stand mounting plate to the motor case studs. most loosen over time and cause huge problems. blue loctite and clean threads solves it. CHECK YOURS CLOSELY!
    Last edited by Barrett; 06-05-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Awesome, thank you so much. Should I still try to tighten the stand because it's pretty wobbly.

Sir: you are very welcome. the first 371 XB's ever produced were part of an agreed-upon "recall" between NHTSA and buell.
    it involved replacement of the spring bracket...spring...stand attachment bolt and nut...checking of stand-to-engine attachment plate. you can see it below.
    i would not mess around with tightening anything. do what i have done many times and replace factory attachment hardware with service kit i listed above. i keep them in stock. takes a bit of fiddling and enlargement of the stand attachment "eyes" but time and money well spent.
    thank you.

Manufacturer: BUELL MOTORCYCLE CO. Mfr's Report Date: SEP 25, 2002
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V270000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 371
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE SIDE STAND LEGS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BEND OR BREAK.
    Consequence:
    THIS COULD CAUSE THE MOTORCYCLE TO FALL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SIDE STAND. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN OCTOBER 16, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE

Awesome, just ordered everything I appreciate you and will give an update when it's all done!!

Bikes back with a new kickstand and a new stand switch. She's running like she was before the kickstand issue. Thank you for your help and the part numbers as well. Appreciate yall.