Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 XB12Ss fuel pump - need help.

Question 2009 XB12Ss fuel pump - need help.

So it seems like I'm having a fuel pump issue on my 2009 XB12Ss.

I started my bike up yesterday, and after about 1-2 minutes of idling the engine died and will not start.

- I hear the pump run for about 2-3 seconds when I turn the key to on.
    - I disconnected the fuel pump electrical connector, turned the bike on, no pump sound.
    - Reconnected it, turned bike back on and heard pump.
    - I did a fuel flow check by disconnecting the hose right at the injector housing, when I turn the bike on there is nothing coming out of the hose.
    - When I hold the hose below the frame tank fuel level fuel comes out with the ignition on or off.
    - Poured a small amount of gas down the throttle body and the bike ran for a few seconds.
    - Fuel hose is not pinched and electrical wiring is not chafed.
    - Battery is fully charged and the starter turns the engine.

So it seems I'm getting air and spark. The pump makes that high-pitched sound when the ignition is turned on, but it doesn't get lower like it's encountering resistance, and there's no fuel flow when I turn the ignition on and hold the fuel hose end over a can.

Do I need a whole new fuel pump/regulator assembly, or is there some sub-part I can replace?

What's frustrating is that from now to Saturday it's 75-77 degrees every day and I have every day off, but now I can't ride.
    Thanks all for any help!

Unless you have a fuel pressure gauge you can hook up to verify function?

Otherwise the tough thing is that you won't know until you actually pull out the fuel pump. The hardest part is all the maneuvers to get the pump out. Once you're there, might as well just replace/rebuild it. Both options available through our esteemed member Barrett.

I have an '07 XB9, and it turned out that there was a pinpoint hole in the flex hose component of the fuel pump. The pump would turn on and make all the right noises, but with that hole it wouldn't pressurize the fuel properly.

Or wiser head will chime in with diagnostic advice. Looks like you chased down all other likely leads though. Except maybe pull the spark plugs to make sure they're not ruined? And visually confirm spark?

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    and it turned out that there was a pinpoint hole in the flex hose component of the fuel pump. The pump would turn on and make all the right noises, but with that hole it wouldn't pressurize the fuel properly.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    I have an '07 XB9, and it turned out that there was a pinpoint hole in the flex hose component of the fuel pump. The pump would turn on and make all the right noises, but with that hole it wouldn't pressurize the fuel properly.
    Happened to me too. Check my "New Buell for me" or whatever the hell I called that thread.

You see, it just goes to prove that pin heads get pin holes !

It'll probably take a while before I can pull the pump. Nowhere to lift the rear as my garage doesn't have accessible rafters, but I can probably figure something out sooner or later.

Crazy thing the bike was running really well up to this point - no sudden engine cutout, no issues at all.

An A-frame ladder works too. The tail of the bike is lighter than most people. The whole bike is lighter than most Americans (LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    You see, it just goes to prove that pin heads get pin holes !

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    An A-frame ladder works too. The tail of the bike is lighter than most people. The whole bike is lighter than most Americans (LOL).
    If you have a stock muffler or if yours comes off easily, you can also jack the bike up by the motor. That’s how I did mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    If you have a stock muffler or if yours comes off easily, you can also jack the bike up by the motor. That’s how I did mine.
    This, i just jacked it up and removed the swingarm bolt.
    Your fuel line may have come ruptured or disconnected inside the tank, that happened to me. I replaced the pump with a $100 mustang pump while i was in there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast