Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xb9 city x highway speed with less rpm?

Xb9 city x highway speed with less rpm?

I am new to the forum this is my second buell first was a thunderbolt. I now own a 2005 xb9 city x want to know if there is anything that can be done to make interstate riding better by lowering rpm at 80 mph i am turning in the neighborhood of 4-4500 rpm I don't want to go to chain drive wanna keep belt is there anyway to swap pulleys out to decrease ram or maybe if I have to go into primary and change gearing there if possible any help would be much apprieciated

Xb12 primary gearing. That will drop your rpms to 3900 in 5th gear at 80mph. The other option would be a chain conversion.

cheaper alternative is to slow down 5 mph. It will get you there about as quick and will be a hell of a lot cheaper if you get wrote up going 80 mph vs 75

hello Sir. the XB9SX was one of Buell's most popular and enjoyable models. there is an 11% difference in gearing between the 9 and the 12 models. the 9 is geared 11% lower than the 12...and vice-versa. in theory, the simplest method to raise 9 gearing is to go up one tooth size on your front belt pulley...purchase a longer belt compatible with this change...retain all other stock components. i know of no one including myself who has ever pulled that off. possible? perhaps. accomplished? not that i'm aware of. in the harley-davidson XR1200 world,it is a popular mod. rear wheel is adjustable, tensioner mounted differently, 29 tooth front pulley readily available, stock belt retained. not so in the Buell world.

reach out for a board member selling a nice complete XB12 primary drive setup...or a member wanting to swap for your XB9 primary setup.
    also Sir, note attached pic. technical service bulletin(TSB) 9/05-211 changed the torque spec. i do NOT make that nut quite that tight. i go with 10% lower torque value. do as you please.
    in essence you'll be going from a 34 tooth front rotor sprocket to a 38 tooth. all newer-release factory front sprockets come with rotor attached. NOT available seperately.

xlxb service.jpg

If you use a free spirits adjustable tensioner you can go up or down one tooth on the front pulley and still use the stock belt. I’m using a 26 tooth aluminum baker pulley with this exact setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    hello Sir. the XB9SX was one of Buell's most popular and enjoyable models. there is an 11% difference in gearing between the 9 and the 12 models. the 9 is geared 11% lower than the 12...and vice-versa. in theory, the simplest method to raise 9 gearing is to go up one tooth size on your front belt pulley...purchase a longer belt compatible with this change...retain all other stock components. i know of no one including myself who has ever pulled that off. possible? perhaps. accomplished? not that i'm aware of. in the harley-davidson XR1200 world,it is a popular mod. rear wheel is adjustable, tensioner mounted differently, 29 tooth front pulley readily available, stock belt retained. not so in the Buell world.

reach out for a board member selling a nice complete XB12 primary drive setup...or a member wanting to swap for your XB9 primary setup.
    also Sir, note attached pic. technical service bulletin(TSB) 9/05-211 changed the torque spec. i do NOT make that nut quite that tight. i go with 10% lower torque value. do as you please.
    in essence you'll be going from a 34 tooth front rotor sprocket to a 38 tooth. all newer-release factory front sprockets come with rotor attached. NOT available seperately.

xlxb service.jpg

Barrett,

Do a search for a forum member named "lunatic fringe". He was selling "add a link" drive belt kits that should resolve this. He also sells extended swingarm kits, supplemental frame grounding points, as well as a kit to convert your rear wheel to fit a 240 tire. I believe he also engineered a intake flange kit for XB's that replaced the stock seal with orings. Neat stuff!

If you just go 3 more MPH, you'll get to your destination before you even leave!

I heard through the grapevine the former Buellxb.com member, LunaticFringe / "User_Deleted", has started up a family friendly bowling alley in AMISH country, PA. The most recent local rag stated the alley was waiting until we hit PHASE 2 for the grand opening... Sign up for the upcoming bowling league!
    123.jpg

Evolution has aluminum pulleys both big and small.

I'll keep my opinion to myself. Your welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast