Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 consecutive bearing failures. I need help bad

Quote Originally Posted by young scooter View Post
    Tighten, loosen, then retighten to a lower torque. He said 100 ft lb and then to 65ft lb
    Quote Originally Posted by Buell Service Manual
    Tighten rear axle (1) to 23-27 ft-lbs back off two full turns and then retighten to 48- 52 ft-lbs.
    Yep, sounds like he nailed it.

so he overtightened it?

Sheesh 100ft-lbs???

This is why I do all my own services on my Buell and use strictly Buell guys if I need help. Get on the Facebook BuellXB forum and try to find a real Buell guy in your area. I fear the damage that has been done to your bike can be quite profound.
    Last edited by GregoXB; 06-13-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Son: some of the best "Buell minds" in the world are on this site. i believe you're aware of that by now. simply put, your mechanic made a mistake and it happens. who you choose to perform this work is entirely up to you. perhaps work things out with your shop in question and "correctly" repeat the installation. diplomatically, with printed-out manual instructions and a few notes in hand from what we've provided, have them repeat the repairs. i have no vested interest or opinion either way.
    then as follows:

have your mechanic follow the AXLE/BEARING INSTALLATION PROCEDURE-SEQUENCE as listed by Shaughn and Aaron above.

purchase both new bearings AND hub bearing spacer. see pic....schematic part # 7.... available either online or most every H-D authorized dealer.

H-D PART # G0323.02A8 SUFFIX L19-D LIST $11.80 FOR TWO BEARING REAR WHEEL

AS MENTIONED: there is a small lip or "floor" at the bottom of the bearing pocket on each side of wheel. each bearing during install bottoms out against it. helps to properly attain correct pre-load during installation. each should be checked closely.

this is NOT the XB rear tube that i speak of....but a visual reference. PURCHASE A NEW ONE!

204-473_A_V4.jpg
    xbrear.jpeg
    Last edited by Barrett; 06-13-2020 at 01:39 PM.

What motorcycle on planet earth calls for 100 ft-lbs on the wheels anyway? Maybe single sided swing arms.... Clearly the mechanic was guessing, didn't bother to use Google for 10 seconds....
    Last edited by GregoXB; 06-13-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Facts

god this is just so heartbreaking for me. I love this bike so much and to have spent 7 hours total on the side of the road across 2 fridays for the same 10$ part failing has just really shaken my trust in the bike. I think you know what I mean. How do I know the next time I get it back its not gonna be the same scenario all over again, with a third friday spent on the side of an interstate far from home? My trust is broken in this bike, even if they do it 100% correctly next time. I'm going to be paranoid for a very long time and theres no dollar amount that can fix that.

I appreciate your help, this time I'm going to forward him these links, I looked at page 2-31 but it seemed to be really generic instructions. I actually read them to him over the phone last night and I wasn't sure if I was looking at the wrong thing because I was thinking it would be a bit more specific.

The damage may be done, the wheel could be damaged, and this would cost me loads of money I don't want to flush out. I'm wondering if it would be less expensive to just cut my losses and sell him the bike for a loss just to be rid of this financial nightmare that he may have had a hand in creating for me. I'm an hvac guy, I dont make loads of money. I live good enough but to have to make multiple trips to the shop in one month is stressing my budget

Im sorry dude. Buells are great bikes. The majority of the problems I see on the forum are inflicted by the owners or someone that doesn't know what they are doing. Feeling safe and having trust in the motorcycle is extremely important. Do what you need to do to get that back.

Quote Originally Posted by young scooter View Post
    god this is just so heartbreaking for me. I love this bike so much and to have spent 7 hours total on the side of the road across 2 fridays for the same 10$ part failing has just really shaken my trust in the bike. I think you know what I mean. How do I know the next time I get it back its not gonna be the same scenario all over again, with a third friday spent on the side of an interstate far from home? My trust is broken in this bike, even if they do it 100% correctly next time. I'm going to be paranoid for a very long time and theres no dollar amount that can fix that.

I appreciate your help, this time I'm going to forward him these links, I looked at page 2-31 but it seemed to be really generic instructions. I actually read them to him over the phone last night and I wasn't sure if I was looking at the wrong thing because I was thinking it would be a bit more specific.

The damage may be done, the wheel could be damaged, and this would cost me loads of money I don't want to flush out. I'm wondering if it would be less expensive to just cut my losses and sell him the bike for a loss just to be rid of this financial nightmare that he may have had a hand in creating for me. I'm an hvac guy, I dont make loads of money. I live good enough but to have to make multiple trips to the shop in one month is stressing my budget

Let’s see if I get your point:

Part fails.
    You replace with non stock $10 replacement part.
    Mechanic who installs part fails to RTFM and installs part incorrectly, and actually applies 4x as much torque as instructed to the part.
    Part fails and potentially damages other part.

You feel this is the fault of the motorcycle.

Sounds legit.

I’d also blame Barrett for not intervening sooner. This could have been prevented sooner, if he wouldn’t have been negligent.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-13-2020 at 10:13 PM.

SKF bearings were highly reccommended in place of HD bearings when i read through older threads on this website. I dont actually know how much they cost, i didnt look at the receipt, but bearings arent that expensive so i just said 10 bucks.
    Anyway, i am not sure what youre trying to say to me here

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast