Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 consecutive bearing failures. I need help bad

What do you mean your in hvac and dont make alot of money......
    You must be an apprentice

He's saying don't blame the Buell. It's not the bikes fault the bearings failed. Your wheel is probably fine. Buy bearings, buy a bearing spacer, RTFM, and you could do the job yourself.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your mechanic and thats great. He made a mistake by not researching an easy fix. Understand no one is perfect, and it's up to you if you want to beat him up about it or let it ride. A relationship with a mechanic is exactly that. Give and take. He should have been better the that, and he will absolutely know he was in the wrong when presented with the Service Manual.

You have an opportunity to politely have him correct the problem and keep a good relationship with a valuable asset. Unless you want to start all over with someone new. I hear 34:19 is single

I just graduated with my associates degree a few weeks ago. Ive been working since march. I am not an apprentice. Ive got a few upcoming pay raises over the next few months but for now I am trying to focus on financial strength and my IRA/being debt free. This bike is like a money vacuum cleaner as of late. Like i said, living well enough but not enough to afford so many trips to the shop in 1 month

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    He's saying don't blame the Buell. It's not the bikes fault the bearings failed. Your wheel is probably fine. Buy bearings, buy a bearing spacer, RTFM, and you could do the job yourself.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your mechanic and thats great. He made a mistake by not researching an easy fix. Understand no one is perfect, and it's up to you if you want to beat him up about it or let it ride. A relationship with a mechanic is exactly that. Give and take. He should have been better the that, and he will absolutely know he was in the wrong when presented with the Service Manual.

You have an opportunity to politely have him correct the problem and keep a good relationship with a valuable asset. Unless you want to start all over with someone new. I hear 34:19 is single
    Thanks partner. He did me right last year with the multiple visits for the new clutch, spent weeks troubleshooting and didnt charge anything. I feel he will do me right again but only the future will tell

You're bike is being vandalized by an irresponsible mechanic.
    Last edited by GregoXB; 06-13-2020 at 11:26 PM.

I have said it before and will say it again. The only person you should have working on your Buell is someone who is enthusiastic about the brand. A real Harley mechanic often doesn’t give a rat ass about a Buell, and often only views them as a great donor bike for that chopper project.

This bearing replacement is nothing specific to a Buell or Harley. Most somewhat modern performance motorcycles use same bearing/spacer setup in their wheels as well, so this should be nothing new to your mechanic. The belt/tensioner pulley setup is somewhat unique to a Buell or XR1200 (we miss you lunatic fringe you grumpy f*cker!), so that should have been his first cue to look this up. Especially before cranking up the torque wrench to 11, and going to town. Like Cooter said above, people do make mistakes, but to me this screams out “rookie” or “I don’t give a crap”.

As an HVAC tech, I’m sure you look up specs when working with HVAC equipment, especially when you are unfamiliar with it. What would your boss do if he found out you messed up a customers system because you couldn’t be bothered to look up spec and overfilled a system with refrigerant and damaged the compressor? I’m not saying you would do that or that I know anything about HVAC, but I’m sure you get the point.

Lastly, parts for Buells are cheap compared to equivalent motorcycles in their class. If this is getting too expensive, you’re probably better off not playing. It’s a 15-ish year old motorcycle, and like a 15 year old AC system that is giving problems, it’s going to be a cakewalk for you to deal with, where I will be out of my league to fix and everyone is going to recommend replacing with a new unit. A 15 year old unique motorcycle may not be what you are cut out for. The new Harley Bronx is coming next year and you may want to start saving you pennies now, as they look like what a 2020 Buell probably would have become.

Maybe your mechanic learned to replace wheel bearings from Cooters thread where he used a claw hammer, pipe wrench, butter knife and a rock?

Tonight I am planning on rebuilding the forks on my S1. I have rebuilt a LOT of forks in the past and while this one is a brand I have never worked on before, I’m going to take a few minutes to RTFM beforehand and make sure there are no surprises. They pretty much all come apart and go back together the same, within reason, but this one may be different.

I’m not a professional mechanic, but I do care about doing the job right. It’s not my paycheck at stake, it could be my life.

so if we put in new bearings and a new spacer, and torque the axle according to the manual, it doesnt matter if the lip inside the wheel is chipped up or damaged?

Everything matters. If it's bad enough buy a new wheel. If it's not bad use stud and bearing mount.

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    Everything matters. If it's bad enough buy a new wheel. If it's not bad use stud and bearing mount.
    What is stud and bearing mount?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast