Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pistons and rings 08 firebolt xb12r

Thats how this board goes.

Replace... and when that doesn't fix it... then start diagnosis

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Thats how this board goes.

Replace... and when that doesn't fix it... then start diagnosis
    Lol

i don't know, bro. i mean i know he's got a buell and it's kinda like a sportster and a sportster is kinda like my superglide and they're all kinda alike and all, but i rev mine pretty hard and even jump it and never busted any valves. i mean don't get me wrong bro, i bust **** and all, but never any valves.

Last edited by Barrett; 06-17-2020 at 07:13 PM.

"Hey Bubbles, hold my Bud Ice and watch this... uh huh huh huh"

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    i don't know, bro. i mean i know he's got a buell and it's kinda like a sportster and a sportster is kinda like my superglide and they're all kinda alike and all, but i rev mine pretty hard and even jump it and never busted any valves. i mean don't get me wrong bro, i bust **** and all, but never any valves.

Im no expert at jumping sportsters, but im pretty sure, he over shot his landing ramp a smidge. 🤷🏾*♂️

Me and my 5y/o watched that about 10 times. After the first one he said..."you can jump those?" Love this little guy.

no abuse

An extremely rare catastrophic failure... and simultaneously in 2 pistons?

Whats the whole story sandman? Your use/abuse would dictate what new engine to build that will last, because stock obviously ain't enough for you
    on a nice road nice day engine at 6000 rpm the engine just made a loud pop sound not a bang like a car engine when a timing belt breaks and a valve slams into a piston. pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop. when i tried to start it it spun with no compression /no rods out of the cases if a valve spring breaks the keeper comes out the valve drops and hits the piston .the engine is out so monday the top end comes off and i will let you know /but when i did a compression check both cylinders were dead how or why? not a clue.

You mite have dropped a valve in one cylinder and the debris from that got sucked into the other cylinder causing damage. That exact thing happened to me.

Post up some pics of the carnage

Yup.
    A valve spring or retainer would have to break....
    Thats why I'm guessing
    Crank pin?
    Please post pics!
    Since a V-twin engine is basically two engines that share a crankshaft and you didn't mention it making crunchy and expensive noises while cranking... I'm guessing whatever happened to lose compression in both cylinders, happened to the parts they share. Even popping out a plug would only affect one cylinder and you did a compression check so you would have notice a spark plug missing I hope, haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12